Kubota BX1850 sputters under load, fuel injector problem?

/ Kubota BX1850 sputters under load, fuel injector problem? #1  

citislycker

Tractor
Kubota BX1850 (I think I can...)
Hi folks,

I'm a reformed city slicker from southern California who finally found Jesus, escaped the concrete jungle, and I now find myself in the Northwest with 15 acres, 12 horses, 2 goats, a llama (don't ask), and more cats and chickens than I can swear at.

This new life also includes a Kubota BX1850 that we probably ask too much of. Most recently, one of the farm hands (okay, me) had it roll over on it's side when the loader was fully raised and only one of the back tires sank into some loose sand. No apparent damage; I quickly shut off the engine and flipped it back up.

I let it "rest" for a bit, did a quick visual inspection, checked the oil, crossed my fingers, and fired it up. There was a little smoke when it started, but no other immediate symptoms indicating any trouble.

Fast forward about ten hours without incident, and then the engine starts wheezing and stumbling a bit when under load. Over the next few hours, this gets worse. RPMs randomly drop for a few seconds, and then come back to full speed (3,100 rpm). It happens less frequently if we operate at only 2,000 rpm, but it's still happening.

I have since changed fuel and air filters, and put new screw type hose clamps on the fuel lines. The fuel filter has since completely filled with fuel, and the tractor has run about 20 hours since changing all filters. However, it still coughs and sputters when under load.

Okay gurus. Karma is kicking my but for all those years of jokes about overalls and victim sheep. Seriously, I need some guidance here... I've built race trucks and airplanes from the ground up, but diesel tractors are new to me...

Should I be going after the injectors (3 of 'em on this li'l engine), hunting down rogue air in the sytem between the filter and the injectors, or is there a setting I can tweak on the fuel pump? What is the procedure for bleeding air from the fuel system at the engine? Is there a compression release valve or lever? Am I totally on the wrong path here?

I'm at your mercy.

/ Kubota BX1850 sputters under load, fuel injector problem?
I also posted this in the Kubota forums, and got great responses there.... thanks!