Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #1  

oldscoutII

Tractor
Ford 3000
Never had this happen before. Just replaced the fuel filter and both rubber lines on the fuel system. Now I can't get the system to re-prime. The fuel tank is full with fresh fuel. When I crack open the line on the leaving side of the lift pump fuel flows out without any air bubbles. When I loosen the bleed on the top of the fuel filter housing and pump the priming lever forever on the lift pump, fuel will just slowly flow out the bleed - nothing forceful like one would expect when pumping the manual priming lever. After shutting off the filter bleed and opening the bleed on the inline injector pump fuel will trickle out of the bleed after pumping the priming lever forever again. The tractor will start and run for a minute or so, then runs out of fuel. I've done this over and over for two hours and the same result.

What am I missing??? Could the lift pump on the side of the injector pump be bad? Tractor was running fine prior to the filter and hose change.

Help please!!! :confused:

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #2  
It sounds like you have a restriction in your fuell system. Get a hand held vacuum pump. Start were you know you have unrestriced fuel flow. Test with the vacuum pump, note how the vacuum decresses. test your next bleader point. When you have a restriction it will hold the vacuum, and releases slowly you've found the restriction.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #3  
getting any fuel into the oil?

I think I'd blow all lines out from lift pump to injector pump.

soundguy

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #4  
Bad filter? Maybe there is a defect in the filter causing a restriction. From your description it sounds like that is where the problem begins.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #5  
do you have an electric shut off or is it manual if electric turn your key on to open the system don

Last edited:
   / Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #6  
shoulds like the diapham in the lift pump has went out u might try pull starting it and see if the pump will lift them when it is turned by the cam in the injection pump

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #7  
do you have an electric shut off or is it manual if electric turn your key on to open the system don

pull to kill cable style.

soundguy

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime
Cycle Gator, you're right on about the fuel filter. My 18yo son and his friend were the ones working on the tractor. They didn't pay attention to how the o-rings were installed when they took off the old filter. The new NAPA filter comes with 3 housing o-rings to work on the multitude of tractors the filter will fit. Since they didn't know which o-ring went where; they placed one inside the top of the filter which sealed off the fuel inlet openings to the filter. :eek:

Once I fixed the o-rings the tractor runs fine now. :thumbsup:

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #9  
I am sure there is some axiom about "helping hands" that would be appropriate here. BTW, I have a 20 YO son, not a half bad mechanic, but the details sometime escape in the midst of the push to get thejob done, fast.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Won't Re-prime #10  
hey.. if 1 gaskets good, 2 must be better right?

glad you got er' goin.

soundguy