Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards!

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #1  

Backman

I've got 18hp twin briggs that runs backwards. It ran backwards when I first started it up. I adjusted the ignition gap and it ran normal for a little while. Then it switched to backwards again and has been backwards ever since.

Things I did before starting it up: (1) new stator, (2) full carb clean (3) new flywheel key, (4) new spark plugs, (5) new oil.

I am having trouble torquing down the flywheel nut. I've heard it needs 145 ft-lbs. (is this right?) I can't lock the engine to get the torque on it. I already bent a belt pulley when I was using a belt and vice-grips to stop the engine so I could tighten it up. Any advice about how to lock this engine so I can tighten that flywheel nut?

I've been playing with the ignition gap but I can't get it to run normal again. Does anyone know why this motor runs backwards and how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Backman

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #2  
Does this engine run backward when shuting off. cannot see it running at any other time.
If so look closely at the valve botton of carb. it is supposed to stop gas from entering the cyl. when ignition is shut off. be careful when removing dealiers like about $75.00 to sell new one.
Electronic ignition shouldn't change good chance wouldn't give spark if it did.
if all is good looking maybe a air leak in gaskets.of carb.
ken

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards!
Hi Ken, thanks for quick response. Can you please explain exactly where this valve is? Is it in the carb? Intake manifold? That carb is clean as a whistle I promise, with all new gaskets. It has one adjuster screw and I expect it is for idle. I've got it at 1.5 turn open now.

Here is a more detailed description of what is going on: The engine starts right up great but unless I keep it choked it takes off accelerating and accelerating without leveling off. I get nervous and kill it before it flies into outer space. I could probably ride this mower down the highway (but it would be going backwards!).

I know this is hard to believe but the thing just runs backwards from starting it up to shutting it down. Sometimes the flywheel kicks back a quarter turn when shutting down. When I put it in reverse gear I go forward and when I put it in 1st I go backward.

Just one time I was able to get it running right and it didn't accelerate out of control and I went forward in 1st gear. Haven't been able to get it back there though. All I did was flip the flywhere 1/2 turn and reset ignition gap.

I'll look into possible air leaks. Thanks.

-Backman

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #4  
I don't understand how this thing could run backwards unless the starter is spinning the wrong way. Being a 4 stroke you wouldn't think it would be possible to run backwards.

Hi K7LN, thanks for the explanation of the governor. That makes perfect sense!

I'm sorry but I misspoke about turning the flywheel. I turned the whole engine around 1/2 turn before resetting ignition gap because I was worried that magnet pulling on ignition coil was causing problems during gap setting. Flywheel key holds flywheel to crank and I did not turn flywheel separately from crank.

KubotainNH, the starter may very well be turning the wrong way (and I have no idea why) but like I said I got the thing to run normal once and the only thing I did was reset ignition gap after turning engine (not just flywheel) 1/2 turn.

Thanks,
Backman

Being a 4 stroke you wouldn't think it would be possible to run backwards.

I have seen much skepticism about 4-stroke running backwards in this forum. In fact, the first person I called about this said "4-strokes can't run backwards" and then hung up. But I promise you this engine is running backwards. It is running quite nicely actually, just backwards (and too fast). I may have to post video of it if this is in fact "impossible." I can't explain it anyway, so please don't ask me to explain it. It just is. I just want it to run normal so I can mow tomorrow!

-Backman

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #7  
To torque the flywheel you can wedge a prybar carefully in the fins and go at it. Or you can just run the nut on with a airgun

You need to check the gap at the coil. Use some brass feeler gauges. .008-.012 is the spec for most twins, what model engine is it?

I bet you sheered the key . new key and " torque" the flywheel and you should be ok

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #8  
Just curious but do you have the plug wires on correctly? Also you may have a air leak somewhere in the intake system. It sounds like the timing is very screwed up (hense the plug wire question) and you're igniting the gas too soon or you're running very lean and you're getting pre ignition (air leak).

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #9  
Just curious but do you have the plug wires on correctly? Also you may have a air leak somewhere in the intake system. It sounds like the timing is very screwed up (hense the plug wire question) and you're igniting the gas too soon or you're running very lean and you're getting pre ignition (air leak).

Not sure what engine he has, but the plug wires likely wont fit to the wrong cyl (one will be too short). Plus its a wasted spark engine anyways.

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #10  
Is this thing belt drive, ad if yes, are the belts on correctly? If the engine is running backwards, how exactly would it be getting fuel?

Check the belts.