Won't start

/ Won't start #1  

tony3542

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 B7610hst
Won\'t start

I have a 1987 244 21h.p. 3 cyl.international(Mitshubitsu)with 600+ hours.I went to start it today ,won't start.It's not the battery,new battery ,cables and connectors.When you turn starter switch sometimes the panel(idiot)lights will come on sometimes they wont.I can hear the sileniod click when switch is turned on.The gear shift safty lever is in start position.This is probably something simple(I hope)This tractor has always started until today.
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Tony 3542

/ Won't start #2  
Re: Won\'t start

sounds like it might be a grounding problem I would check over any grounds on the tractor. or possibly a dead short in the starter..

/ Won't start #3  

(maybe you have done the following) If not;
I would start with putting a battery charger on this battery (couple hours at 6 amps).
If it starts. then the battery may be new, but defective.
If it doesn't start, I'd check out the cable connections to see if they are clean and tight on both ends.
If it starts, then we're in good shape.
If it doesn't start, I'd look at the starter. (But hopefully it has started by this time).

/ Won't start #4  

First question, does the engine actually turn, or do you just hear a click when you try?

If the engine is not being turned over, then you could have a dirty battery terminal or a bad battery...

Do your lights come on brightly with the engine off? Assuming you have lights. Do the lights go out when you try to start the engine...if so, likely a bad battery or dirty or loose terminal.

Do you have a volt meter? Check the voltage of the battery, right on the terminals of the battery, when you try to start the engine...if it drops very low, you have a bad battery.

All the above is predicated on an engine that is not turning over when you turn the key.

If it is turning over and not starting...Fuel problem? But it sounds electrical, since you mention that the panel lights are acting funny too.

Don't assume you battery is good, even if it is new. New batteries fail, and failures seem to pop up around my neck of the woods as soon as the weather starts getting colder.

Hope this helps...

Bill in Pgh, Pa

/ Won't start #5  

Tony,

The following is not for the faint of heart, but will diagnose your problem.

On the top or side of the starter will be a solenoid. It will have 3 electrical contacts. The top heavy guage one will connect directly to the battery. The lower heavy guage one will connect to the starter internally. It will disappear into the case. The third will be a smaller guage wire that excites the solenoid.

Grab a heavy junk screwdriver and jump from the upper large guage connection to the lower large one. (be prepared for sparks and use firm pressure, you can create an arc welder and damage the connections if you don't keep it tight). If the starter turns briskly, (it won't engage the flywheel because the solenoid is not activated) , then the problem is not in the starter or the battery or the positive & negative circuits.

If it doesn't turn, or turns slowly, then check the just listed items. Check them with a voltmeter connected between the upper large connector and battery negative post . If voltage stays up around 10V at that connector and starter won't turn over with jumping the upper and lower connectors, then the starter is bad. If voltage drops below 10V, then battery, or positive or negative connections are the problem.

If it does turn when jumped between upper and lower, but not with the switch, then the problem is either in the wiring/switches to the solenoid or the solenoid itself. Jump from the large upper guage conector to the solenoid terminal. If the starter engages and turns over,(make sure the tractor is in neutral and keep your hands free from fan, ect, you are bypassing any safety switches in the circuit), the problem is in the ignition switch, wiring, safety switches, ect from battery to solenoid.

You check these items with the voltmeter,,,leads are placed across each component as you activate the circuit. Good components will show a small voltage difference (less then .3 volts) between their input/output terminals, bad components will be up towards 12V.

If jumping the solenoid causes the solenoid to engage, but the starter doesn't turn over, and it did in your earlier test, then the problem is the internal contacts of the solenoid that bridge from the upper to lower leads. Burning of these contacts is a common problem with starter solenoids. Some of them can be repaired by disassembling the solenoid and cleaning or reversing the contact buss.

HTH,
Dave

/ Won't start #6  

I'm going to have to print this reply and keep it. That was the shortest, most thorough and easiest to understand troubleshooting guide for the starting system that I have ever read. Thanks. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Won't start #7  

Thanks for the kind words MossRoad. But please note I had to edit the post to correct something that wasn't clear. The edited words are in bold.

Thanks again,
Dave