Removing dry cylinder liners

/ Removing dry cylinder liners #1  

Tractor
All makes
Hi, starting to refurbish a Ford 4600 FWD. Has anyone had the pleasure of removing dry cylinder liners, (pretty sure these were factory fitted).This beast was seized real bad, a steel block and a 14lb sledge hammer was the only way. I have rigged a puller with a 20 ton jack, so far all I have managed is to bend the 5/8" steel bars on the puller. Have tried Co2 fire extinguisher to shrink the liners with the pressure on. Scratching my head now. I really do not want to pull the engine block out, anyway I can't see that it would help me. Any suggestions anyone?

/ Removing dry cylinder liners #2  
There are special pullers made for removing dry-fit liners, essentially they use a carefully fitted plate on the bollom of the liner and an upside-down "U" at the top (or "H" puller on risers) to pull the liner out.

ANY angular deviations from straight can cause the liner to bind, which is why it is important to use the correct tooling.

To install, an overnight stay in the freezer, and using the removal plate on top of the liner and striking it "home" is often all that is needed. However, some liners are specifically designed to require the block be decked afterwards. I don't know specifically about this engine.

/ Removing dry cylinder liners #3  
As ModMech said that is the best way to remove and install them although I've used a sharp chisel in the past and very, very carefully cut and broke sections out till the sleeve came out. To install I've always frozen mine overnight and used a tool the parts dealer around my area let me use for free to put the new ones in.

/ Removing dry cylinder liners #4  
If you have access to a welder run a couple of small beads inside the liner, same way you'd remove a bearing race.....Mike

/ Removing dry cylinder liners
Have turned a well fitting plate for the bottom and using a double "H" frame above with a 20 ton jack between. I see the point of accurate pulling, will turn another plate for the top to centre the pulling bolt. Have used a bead of weld for removing inners from ball races as it expands the inner, will a bead not expand the liner making it tighter? These are dry liners, it's going to be difficult to chisel them out. In the end I suppose I could use an air grinder with a tungsten carbide grinder to slice a groove down each liner, just worried about going too far, would be an expensive mistake.

/ Removing dry cylinder liners #6  
will a bead not expand the liner making it tighter?
It will initially but since it can't expand when it's hot it'll be smaller when it cools. Three evenly spaced beads along the length of the liner will do it.....Mike

/ Removing dry cylinder liners #7  
G'day Mike i agree with your theory although most dry liners are rather thin walled and it is very easy to burn through and bugger up the parent bore. to the OP check your bore sizes of your new liners as most dry liners require machining to size after fitment thus req the block to be removed and while it is out get the eng shop to press out/in the new liners

Jon

/ Removing dry cylinder liners
Have checked the wall thickness of the new liners, they are over 0.1" thick. Should be thick enough to stop me burning through. The new liners are semi-finished and require honing to finished size. Going to try one other thing before I commit to welding, I can get another hydraulic jack under the engine to push the liner out, one pulling and one pushing. I will have to put the JCB bucket on the front of the tractor to stop it just lifting the front up, should give me a couple of extra tons. Then it's the welding route, be prepared for expletives. Bruce

/ Removing dry cylinder liners #9  
Ive always welded them out . Pack the bottom of the bore with wet rags to protect the crank and run 4 welds from bottom to top . An electric fan blowing over the top of the cylinder keeps the smoke away so you can see what you are doing . They don't have to be good welds , just keep the amps down and keep the rod moving . Let them cool and lift them out , no jack required .

/ Removing dry cylinder liners #10  
I assume that these dry liners are the same as ones I've seen in other engines. The dry liners I'm familiar with are always installed in the bore, then topped and bored to size with a boring bar. I have never seen any dry liners that are meant to be simply put in place and used without machining.

If these liners are the same as I describe above, the easiest way to remove them is to weld a bead top to bottom with an arc welder. This will shrink it and it will come right out.