273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying

/ 273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying #1  

KentKeller

Tractor
273 NH Square Baler
Having problems when tying the bales. The baler is tying the bale, the string makes the knot, but pulls the string through and is not making the knot to secure the bale. Need some ideas to trouble shoot.

/ 273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying #2  
Welcome. Lets make this simple: I think you are saying that as the hay is goin thru the bale case, the twine is following it along. The two ends are joined together but the knot is not getting completed.

Is that the case?

Or is the billhook only have one end of the twine in its jaw(s). I presume BOTH knotters are having trouble or is it only one side?

Do you have an operators manual for your machine?

A few pictures always improve the diagnosis...

Now let's have a step by step description of what's happening.

/ 273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying
The string forms a loop to create the knot, but the leading string to create the knot slips through, causing the knot to not cinch and the is not busts. Side where tension is least.
In a step by step, pulls up the hay into the machine, moves down the belt to the string. The hay into the chamber creating the needed tension and when full the string and knotter re connects to create the knot. It is at this point that the knotter is not working correctly and cinching the string. No, we are expecting an operators manual, but the previous owner is searching for it.

/ 273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying #4  
OK ! So, it sounds like the billhook jaw tension is too loose so as the twine pulls out of it, OR, the twine tension setting at the twine box is too tight, OR the twine is having trouble getting thru the needle eys. The jaw tension is an adjustment you make on the pressure arm as is the twine box pull thru force. The needle eye issue could be worn guides or they are plugged with rust. By any chance did you switch from sisal twine to plastic twine? Your description is a common symptom of the problem when the twine box clamps, twine disks and billhook jaws are not readjusted for the more slippery plastic string.

All these 3 tensions are usually about 15 lbs to pull the twine and to open the jaw. A fish scale can help you judge the correct pullout force.

/ 273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying #5  
check the billhook and knife arm it sounds like it is not sweeping the knot of the billhook which is causing the knot to pull apart

/ 273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying
Sounds good so far. One side is tying perfect. So how do I adjust the tension on the twine box? I have changed twine from a thinner style to a thicker twine, but I do not believe it is plastic. I believe it may be the twine box tension and the billhook tension. Will check tomorrow. I have also watched several of the YouTube baler repair clips, very interesting and informative.

/ 273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying #7  
DON'T over grease the knotter. I had a 273 for several years, replaced all the parts on the knotter when I bought it, only problems I ever had were caused by my grease gun.

/ 273 NH Square Baler problem w/knot tying #8  
Having problems when tying the bales. The baler is tying the bale, the string makes the knot, but pulls the string through and is not making the knot to secure the bale. Need some ideas to trouble shoot.

hi i have a nh 317 and one knotter broke and before i replaceed it the baler was working great but now it is not completing the knot bill hook is missing one string causing it not to complete the bale. it only had the front two wedgers up the front of the baler so i put the other 4 in i had baler has been timed to its marks could the wedgers be my problem