tractor wont turn over

/ tractor wont turn over #1  

SaskatchewanBoy

Tractor
kubota
Hello my tractor wont turn over it, has plenty of battery. Just turns slightly but no noise its a kubota diesel. does anyone have any ideas?
Glow plugs light up but nothing. It was running when it was shut down. I went to check the oil and oil came out of the dip stick plug, but oil level was good as I always check?:confused:

/ tractor wont turn over #2  
LOL, saw the title of the thread and thought that was a great thing!! I hope nobody's tractor will turnover!

Sounds like it could be hydrolocked with fluid (oil? diesel?) in one or more cylinders??

/ tractor wont turn over #3  
LOL, saw the title of the thread and thought that was a great thing!! I hope nobody's tractor will turnover!

Sounds like it could be hydrolocked with fluid (oil? diesel?) in one or more cylinders??

I was thinking the same thing..:laughing:

I'd take the glow plugs out and see if it turns over then.
if it does put em back in and try again..
if not, you may have some real problems...

J

/ tractor wont turn over #4  
Hello my tractor wont turn over it, has plenty of battery. Just turns slightly but no noise its a kubota diesel. does anyone have any ideas?
Glow plugs light up but nothing. It was running when it was shut down. I went to check the oil and oil came out of the dip stick plug, but oil level was good as I always check?:confused:

Try giving us a little more information.

Like year and model?

How many hours?

When what the last service?

You mention that it was running when it was shut down?? What do you mean by this? Did the tractor shut down on its own or die? or do you mean YOU shut it down?

Were there any problems before like overheating, lack of power, noises, etc?

You say that you have pleanty of battery, how do you know?? Have you tried jumping of charging it??

Have you tried rolling the motor over by hand to see if it's locked up? It it is, there is something wrong with the engine. Could be a number of things, hydra-locked as already mentioned, or it could have broke somthing, seized ut, etc.

If it turns over freely by hand, then it is an issue with the starting system. Weak starter, weak battery, bad connections, etc.

Post back with a little more details and we might be able to help you better.

/ tractor wont turn over #5  
I should have added that when you turn it over, check to see if anything comes out the glow plug holes...

J

/ tractor wont turn over #6  
I'd be surprised if if hydrolocked...how could it get that way after being normally shut down? However, since it was brought up, unless SaskatchewanBoy knows absolutely it cannot be hydrolocked, he should pull the glow plugs or injectors and confirm that. Once the glow plugs or injectors are pulled (glow plugs are the preferred choice), ry cranking the engine. With no compression, it should spin easily.

If the cylinders are clear, try jumping off another battery. Even batteries that provide good lights may not produce the cranking amps to get a diesel started.
Still no start...possible it jumped timing...

/ tractor wont turn over #7  
I went to check the oil and oil came out of the dip stick plug, but oil level was good as I always check?:confused:

Oil coming out of the dip stick hole, sounds as if the hydraulic oil has leaked into the engine crank case from the hydraulic pump. Be very careful turning the crank shaft or you may bend something.

/ tractor wont turn over #8  
if the oil is coming out the dipstick whole i would drain the engine oil and find where that extra oil is coming from and don't try and turn it over if over filled with oil u could bend a rod or throw a rod and put a whole in the block ruin the crank and cam all at the same time

/ tractor wont turn over #9  
I went to check the oil and oil came out of the dip stick plug, but oil level was good as I always check?:confused:

This statement does need clarification...did oil come out of the tube (indicating an overfill) or was the level good?

Way I read it was the oil level was correct, but Whodat and Transit read it as an overfill...