Making your own snowblower shear pin/bolt

/ Making your own snowblower shear pin/bolt #1  

massey driver

Gold Member
Tractor
massey 175,1655 BX 2370-1
After buying a few shear pins for the snowblower and paying way to much I decided to make my own.I made a jig out of a piece of 1/4" pipe and a piece of angle iron.I welded the pipe to the angle iron placed the new shear pin/bolt beside the pipe to mark where to cut the slot.I then put the shear pin/bolt into the pipe and cut down into the pipe untill the hacksaw blade just made contact with the shear pin/bolt.I did that for both slots.I then used my drill to spin the bolt and just held the hacksaw in the pre cut slot's untill the slots where cut into the bolt.I made 10 of then in a few short minutes.Now I won't feel Like I'am being taken for a ride when I need to have a new shear pin/bolt. Larry

Attachments

• shear pin jig 1.jpg
    shear pin jig 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,709
  • shear pin jig 2.jpg
    shear pin jig 2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,134
  • shear pin jig 3.jpg
    shear pin jig 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,191
   / Making your own snowblower shear pin/bolt #2  
What grade of bolt do you use to give the same protection level as the regular shear pin?

/ Making your own snowblower shear pin/bolt #3  
That's a great idea Massey Driver.....

I checked a new package of Ariens 5/16-NC shear bolts and they don't have the usual notches/markings of grade 5 or 8 hex bolts......so maybe they're grade 2 or less..??....Yes/No..?

/ Making your own snowblower shear pin/bolt #4  
I use plain bolts for my shear pins.
Grade 5 as they shear nice and clean

The hardware store grade is simply mild steel and they burr B4 shearing and become a bear to drive out and as well they elongate the mateing pin holes.

I always use nylon lock nuts torqued nice and snug.

No problems going on 6-7 years now and probably go thru 24 a year on both the auger and impeller each.

/ Making your own snowblower shear pin/bolt
What grade of bolt do you use to give the same protection level as the regular shear pin?

That's a great idea Massey Driver.....

I checked a new package of Ariens 5/16-NC shear bolts and they don't have the usual notches/markings of grade 5 or 8 hex bolts......so maybe they're grade 2 or less..??....Yes/No..?

Same on both blowers that I have 48" snapper and 48" ariens I'am using grade 5 with the notches cut into them.The cut in notches make them the same as a 1/4" bolt.I've sheared the grade 5 bolt 5/16" on the ariens without the notch[piece of firewood] but to be safe have decided to use the notched ones now.The bolts are cheap compared to having problems with the gear box etc:The grade 8 bolts would be just to tough.Basicially its like just using a 1/4" bolt with having that notch cut into them.Thats where there going to shear off.Larry

Do your blowers' manuals call for Grade 5 or better shear bolts?

Don't have manuals for either of them I just use Grade 5 This is what I do!!!! So what you do is up to you.Just posted a way to make your own if your inclined to do so.:thumbsup:Larry

/ Making your own snowblower shear pin/bolt #8  
Just curious Larry. My Bush-Hog calls for Grade 2 shear bolts and that's what I use.

Just curious Larry. My Bush-Hog calls for Grade 2 shear bolts and that's what I use.

I don't have any manuals for mine I figure that using a grade 5 would be the best way for me to go with the notches cut into them as the grade 5 will shear off and not tend to want to bend etc: like mild steel.Larry

/ Making your own snowblower shear pin/bolt #10  
:thumbsup:

Massey_driver,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this and providing photos. Excellent tool and instructions. Another way to be self-sufficient.