killed my case 580c

/ killed my case 580c #1  

mattellis2

Bronze Member
Not been a good day for me. About two months ago, I bought an old Case 580c. The plan was to excavate a hill to build a shop, do a few odd little jobs and resell it. I've been piddling around with it in my free time, and have had a lot of fun. I've excavated about 250 yards, and the project is wrapping up.

Today, the plan was to finish up. I had to dig 5-6 small stumps and do a little grading, and then I'd be done with the hoe. I positioned the tractor, spun around and started working the hoe. About 30 minutes later, the tractor died, which was odd, since it has always run without problems. I hit the started, it fired up and I reached out with the hoe to take another bite. As soon as I put a load on it, it died again. I hopped down, walked around to the front of the tractor, and immediately noted all my engine oil on the ground. A stick had punctured the oil filter, and I ran the thing dry. Pretty sure it is seized now. I got a new filter, refilled the crankcase and tried to restart it. No go...I can hear the solenoid on the starter, but the engine doesn't turn over...at all.

Any bright ideas on how I can unstick it? Is there a low oil safety switch that I am not aware of that needs to be reset? (That is just wishful thinking...I kind of doubt there is on a 35 year old tractor) I can get the exhaust manifold off fairly easily I think. Should I pull it and squirt some Kroil into the cylinders?

I'm so bummed. I was within an hour of being done, and I just got the hoe back together on Thursday after having to tear it down for some boom repairs. :(

/ killed my case 580c #2  
This is not very good. Is there any way to get a long handle wrench on the nut that holds the pulley to the crank shaft and SLOWLY turn the engine by hand?

/ killed my case 580c #3  
pull the starter and bar it over and even if u get it free it will most likely knock

/ killed my case 580c
This is not very good. Is there any way to get a long handle wrench on the nut that holds the pulley to the crank shaft and SLOWLY turn the engine by hand?

my neighbor suggested this as well. i cleaned up the loose dirt around it, and will start removing the grill and such to get better access tomorrow.

pull the starter and bar it over and even if u get it free it will most likely knock

are you suggesting using a prybar on the flywheel to try to get it turn? this may be a possibility as well...if i could get it just fire again, i could move it out where it could actually be worked/readied to take to the shop.

/ killed my case 580c #5  
Was it knocking really hard when you re-fired it for the last time? smoking really good? Or anything out of the ordinary?

/ killed my case 580c
no, it started and ran fine. i even revved it a little bit. it died as soon as i put a load on it, and no luck since.

/ killed my case 580c #7  
my neighbor suggested this as well. i cleaned up the loose dirt around it, and will start removing the grill and such to get better access tomorrow.

are you suggesting using a prybar on the flywheel to try to get it turn? this may be a possibility as well...if i could get it just fire again, i could move it out where it could actually be worked/readied to take to the shop.

yea i would pry it over with a bar through the strater hole because if u try to turn the bolt on the end of the crank shaft u might twist it off

i have pried abunch over like that when they seized up sometimes u get lucky and it isn't seized that bad and it will run fine with know problem it is most likely only stuck on the first or second rod bearing

/ killed my case 580c #8  
I think you might get lucky then. I have a 580B and while digging on a hill all the oil ran away from the oil pump and it started knocking big time with some white smoke. Spun a bearing on the crank. $2k later and I finally got it running again a few weeks ago..

/ killed my case 580c
got the starter out. i was fumbling around in the dirt with a flashlight and a wrench, but at least got access to the flywheel. i'll try to turn it tomorrow when i can actually see what i am doing.

which way should it turn if you were sitting in the seat looking towards the loader? should i try to turn it the opposite way, or does it matter?

thanks for the help guys.

/ killed my case 580c #10  
it really doesn't matter which ever way u can get the pry bar in there and get a good bite

Last edited: