89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area.

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #12  
Do you have a link to the tractor video?

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #16  
The video helps alot. It definitely is not the pilot bearing. Does the noise change in different gears. If you raise or lower the TPH or loader while it is making the noise does it change. It sounds like a hyd pump starving for oil. Where is the pump mounted on this tractor. Feel the steel lines coming off the hyd pump and see if they are vibrating. I WOULD NOT keep running the tractor this way. It could get verry expensive in a hurry. Put the rear of the tractor on jack stands and see if it makes the noise. Could the front driveshaft be rubbing on the tube it runs in.
Bill

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area.
Hooked_on_HP said:
The video helps alot. It definitely is not the pilot bearing. Does the noise change in different gears. If you raise or lower the TPH or loader while it is making the noise does it change. It sounds like a hyd pump starving for oil. Where is the pump mounted on this tractor. Feel the steel lines coming off the hyd pump and see if they are vibrating. I WOULD NOT keep running the tractor this way. It could get verry expensive in a hurry. Put the rear of the tractor on jack stands and see if it makes then noise. Could the front driveshaft be rubbing on the tube it runs in.
Bill

I thought the same thing.
That is what has me stumped. no change when you use the hydraulics at all or the pto or 4wd.It seems to be most prominent when under load in high gear.If you watch both videos one is done in high range and one is done in mid range.Fluid was low in the front axle and checked all others.Everything is topped off now.

Last edited:
skirtchaser said:
I thought the same thing.
That is what has me stumped. no change when you use the hydraulics at all or the pto or 4wd.It seems to be most prominent when under load in high gear.If you watch both videos one is done in high range and one is done in mid range.Fluid was low in the front axle and checked all others.Everything is topped off now.

This noise only happens when the tractor is moving.

/ 89 Ford 1220 9x3 whining noise from bellhousing area. #19  
I've watched and listened to both videos and my old ears seem to think it is a high pitched noise made by something near engine rpm. By that I mean something rotating at engine rpm. If it does not make any noise when you release the clutch with the transmission in neutral, then I don't think this problem is anything in the clutch or transmission input shaft. It seems to occur only when the wheels are in motion. What about in reverse? To me it just sounds like a countergear somewhere that is "singing" badly or perhaps a bearing. Whatever, it seems to be at or near engine rpm. Oh yes, does turning hard left or right change the sound?

jinman said:
I've watched and listened to both videos and my old ears seem to think it is a high pitched noise made by something near engine rpm. By that I mean something rotating at engine rpm. If it does not make any noise when you release the clutch with the transmission in neutral, then I don't think this problem is anything in the clutch or transmission input shaft. It seems to occur only when the wheels are in motion. What about in reverse? To me it just sounds like a countergear somewhere that is "singing" badly or perhaps a bearing. Whatever, it seems to be at or near engine rpm. Oh yes, does turning hard left or right change the sound?

No noise is made when the tractor is in neutral clutch in or out.. And yes it will do it in reverse as well. Noise does change with engine rpm and once it starts if you push the clutch in it will continue to make it till the machine is just about stopped. Turning the machine has no effect.I am starting to lean towards that counter shaft theory only because it does eventually go away.It's like a bearing starving for oil then finally getting it.