Ford NAA/Jubilee steering?

/ Ford NAA/Jubilee steering? #1  

shughey

Tractor
1953 ford jubilee
I just replaced a jubilee steering box with a used one...All is good with the box except the top Steering bearing assembly Bearing Assembly - 8N3517
is bad and doesnt seem to want to come out.I am speaking of the one right under the steering wheel itself.....without the bearing assembly, the shaft seems to have too much free movement,which I assume would ruin the thrush bearings?? The spring and seat came out but the old bearing assembly seems adhered(stuck) to the shaft....
I'm new to working on these things so thats why I'm here,,,.Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated...
If the bearing assembly is not replaced will that cause pressure on the bearings at the bottom of the shaft???
Or would it be ok to use without it??

/ Ford NAA/Jubilee steering? #2  
NO you can't use it without it. if you find a part on a ford tractor it's essential. ford wqas cheap. there's nothing 'extra' on a ford tractor it didn't need.

without the beairng to center the wormshaft it will flex and likely break right at the worm gear portion, above machined bearing surface on the worm shaft.

as I said in PM, the lil bearing is flimsy at best. should be easy to destroy and remove that top cover even if you have to leverage the top cover agaist the steering box using some prying force.

that or use a chissle to get under the top lip of that bearing/bushing and crush it in a tad to get some pliers on it. the material in that bushing is just about good enough to make a couple bottle caps, a paper clip and a spray can plastic top....

soundguy

/ Ford NAA/Jubilee steering? #3  
part number 30 just pushes down into that tube via hand pressure or a lil tap from a hammer handle... again.. there just ain't much to it. if it's seized to the steering shaft then pry the cover away from the box.. the bushing will either let go or deform or break.. once you hav ethe cover off you can use some dowel stock or round stock from the opposite side to drive it out. if any of it stays ont he shaft.. just cut it off and cleanthe shaft with emory paper.

i've done plenty of ford steering boxes over the years. this part WILL yeild to a lil strong language and some manual strong arming effort.

soundguy

Attachments

• naasteering.gif
    naasteering.gif
    46 KB · Views: 1,242
   / Ford NAA/Jubilee steering?
thanks for your help!