Steering Wheel Removal

/ Steering Wheel Removal #1  

slomo693845

I have a "dumb"question to ask,since I am no mechanic.What is the easiest way to remove the steering wheel from a Kubota L-185? Mine is broken and I need to replace it.................Thanks

/ Steering Wheel Removal #2  
Welcome slomo and its not a dumb question at all. Its just that you dont know how to do it, and you want to do it right. Very intelligent move to start with in my opinion. You 1st have to take the center cap off the steering wheel. It should either pull right off or you may have to take a small screwdriver underneath it and pry it off. Then remove the nut and washer off the main shaft. You can rent or borrow a steering wheel puller from some places like auto zone or advance auto parts. these pullers are usually pretty cheap like less that $20, if you want to buy one. Napa has them also prob. Northern tool, Harbor freight. etc. If you get one fron the auto stores dont be afraid to ask how to use them. Good luck, should be a pretty easy job. zman :)

/ Steering Wheel Removal #3  
Another method I've used from time to time is to slack off the nut maybe 3-4 turns and wack the nut with a solid blow with a hammer.
Only back off a few threads as otherwise you can damage them and at that only one or two wacks.
Most often that's all it takes.
A piece of brass or aluminum between the nut and hammer would be a good precaution to take as it will prevent thread damage.(or a brass hammer)

ps; I jest recently used this method on my 1958 tractor and one wack did the trick!
(needed to pull wheel for access to under the dash)

Also a squirt of WD40 (or similar) couple of days ahead of time could also help ease things.

Good luck!

and welcome to TBN!

/ Steering Wheel Removal
Thanks,zman and Piloon for the help.I will see what I can do.If like usual,I'll tear up more than I can fix. LOL! ! ! !
slomo693845:laughing:

/ Steering Wheel Removal #5  
I wouldn't smack a steering shaft to remove a steering wheel, even a little bit. It's a pretty straight shot to the steering box and the gears, especially small ones in small tractors, really aren't designed for that kind of load.

Pullers work good, they're cheap, they don't cause any damage that will make you wish you had done it the right way.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #6  
I dont think it will hurt the steering box if you use this trick, you need to have someone pulling up on the steering wheel at the time you smack it. Just have them put their hands at 3 oclock and 9 oclock, pulling straight up on it and then hit with a hammer. No sledge hammer sthough. LOL zman :thumbsup: