engine will not turn over

/ engine will not turn over #1  

mwwade

Tractor
1700 ford
I own a ford 1700 tcyl. diesel, the engine will ot turn over using the starter. When I turn the key to start the engine, the engine will turn over just a fraction, and then stop. I pulled the starter, and had it rebuilt. With the starter removed the flywheel moves freely. I put a wrench on the balancer, and the engine will turn over going counter clockwise. When I turn the engine cw it will not turn. By the way, I twisted the bolt off trying this. I give up. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with this tractor? Ps. the tractor only sit for about 2 weeks until the last time it was ran. MW

/ engine will not turn over #2  
got glow plugs? pull em.. then try to spin her over .. if no glow.. pull injectors..

oh yeah.. replace the bolt you twisted off.

soundguy

/ engine will not turn over
excuse my egnorance, but what does glow plugs and injectors have to do with pistons turning over?

/ engine will not turn over #4  
compression and hydro locking.

think it over for a minute.. it will become obvious... :)

soundguy

/ engine will not turn over #5  
The hyd pump is directly coupled to crankshaft/cam shaft with gear.. no slippage. under normal engine rotation hyd pump is designed to only turn in one direction. If the hyd pump is off you can rotate it in both directions by hand. If you reverse the engine rotation by turning the crankshaft then the there is no path for the hyd oil to move... as if you are pumping against a dead head.. no can do!!!. In other word you are reversing the supply and return pipes going to your hyd pump. You might damage component doing so. When the glow plug is removed then you have much easier time to turn the engine as you will not have trapped air. Do you know where the glow plugs are? what is different between now and two weeks ago when the tractor ran?

JC,

Last edited:
OK that makes some sence to me now. the only difference is we had some rain, and it is a little cooler. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks!! M

/ engine will not turn over #7  
also helps if you have water in the cylinders.. :)

soundguy

/ engine will not turn over #8  
yes and if it has water in the cylinder like soundguy has pointed out it could have it could only let it turn to pull the piston down since it cant compression the water my suggestion would be to pull the glow plugs and injectors because if it has water it will be easier to get out of two holes instead of just one

/ engine will not turn over #9  
OK that makes some sence to me now. the only difference is we had some rain, and it is a little cooler. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks!! M
Water could have gotten in down the exhaust pipe.
larry

Yep, you guy's hit it right on the head, water in the cylinders. I pulled the glo plugs flushed the cylinders with diesel, and it started right up. Thanks so much for the good advice. Now I have to get the twisted bolt out of the bottom pully. Any good suggestions on doing that. I guess a puller would remove the pully if the head is off the bolt. MW