Forklift battery

/ Forklift battery #1  

Northstar9126

Bronze Member
A friend gave me an electric forklift that looks to be in very good condition, he said that everything worked fine until the battery died. The forklift is the kind that you stand on to operate. I believe that it was used to move pallets up on to racking. It is a 36 volt machine with a huge battery. I would guess the battery to be 18" wide by 30" tall by 40" wide. I checked on ebay to get an idea of what a replacement battery would cost. A used battery goes for over $1000 with no guarantee on it's condition. Does anybody know if I could get away with using six 6 volt deep cycle batteries. I know that I would get less run time on the 6 volt batteries but I don't need it to work for long periods of time. I will be using the forklift myself in my polebarn so I don't care about OSHA regulations.

/ Forklift battery #2  
That should work if you can squeeze them in there. You might see about putting new acid in the battery. But those things get cycled a lot and do tend to puke out eventually. A good smart charger helps give them more life.

/ Forklift battery #3  
Those fork lift batteries can be repaired.....there are individual cells that come out for replacement....you'll have to do a little research to find an industrial battery service company to do the work...I wouldn't recommend DIY as these things are dangerous if not versed in this work....

A local forklift company may have a guy that does this or can steer you to a battery company....

These batteries are expensive and forklifts with a dead battery is pretty common as the people that have them realize a battery could cost 3-4 thous dollars depending on the size/amp hours/voltage ect.....and more likely to give it away......

If you test the cells with a hydrometer and voltmeter you may be able to determine how many cells are junk.....Hope this helps.....:):)

/ Forklift battery #4  
I agree to have the battery you got checked out.

Theres more to it than just using 6 6v batteries. You also want to look at the amp rating on them as well. 6 smaller batteries may not provide enough amps to run the lift. Not to mention they wont last as long.

And just a quick google search for 6v deep cycle batteries turns up $100+ EACH. Considering they wont last as long as a properly maintained REA: forklift battery, it may be cheaper in the long run to bite the bullet now. $600+ for 6 individual batteries, and you still have to get some HEAVY guage wire and terminals th hook them all together. I dont see a whole lot of savings, especially if your dead battery can be fixed.

And not to mention, that most electric lifts use the weight of the battery for ballast. A few hundred pounds of 6v batteries is nothing like a few thousand pounds of REAL battery. That alone may cause some dangerious situations. With 6V batteries, it may not even lift what you need it to, and I'd hate to see someone spend over 600 bucks on a makeshift setup ont to have it not work for them.

Good luck.

/ Forklift battery #5  
Finally, a post I can help with. :) I work for a forklift/ battery dealer.

The others are spot on. While you can run the unit off of 6 or 12 volt batteries, they won't last long and can be expensive. The problem doing that is the unit was designed with a specific size of battery in mind. If you read the data plate, you'll see it specifies a minimum battery weight, usually at least 2,000 pounds. That's because, as the other poster said, it uses the battery as a counterweight to get the necessary lifting capacity in as small of a body as possible. If you try to run it without the proper battery, and actually lift stuff with it, you may well tip it over.

If you can get the battery out of the unit, you can check the basics on it yourself. First, take your voltmeter leads and stick them into the battery cables. Operate the forklift and see how much the battery drops. On top of the battery you will see bars connecting the cells together. Take a voltmeter and check across each individual cell. You should have about 2.0 volts per cell. 2 volts per cell multiplied by the number of cells gives you the operating voltage, usually 24 or 26 volts in that type lift.

If you check the battery cells and find one or two that are drastically different then the others, you may be able to have the battery repaired by having just those cells replaced. However, depending on the age of the battery it may not be financially wise to do so. Over time, the lead plates in the battery shed lead particles down into the cell, causing positive plate growth. Once the plates shed enough, the cell will short out internally. You may replace two cells, then a month later have two or three more fail, then not long after have a few more fail. The plates usually shed at about the same rate. With 12 or 18 cells in a battery, you can spend more fixing one than a new one would cost.

How are you going to charge it? Most chargers are set up to run on 3 phase power, but single phase units are out there. Make sure your charger is set for your input voltage, too. They can be set up to operate on 208, 240, or 480 volts AC input. If you open the front door of the charger, there should be a sticker with a diagram explaining what jumpers need to go where to set it. Depending on how old it is, it may not be changeable.

Check the total voltage of your battery by sticking the voltmeter leads in your battery cables. Next, find a way to get the battery out of the unit. Be advised, it probably weighs about 2,000 pounds. Between the lead bars on top of the battery, you should see either plastic caps, or plastic caps connected by hoses. Remove the caps and fill each cell with water until it's about even with the plate you can see in the cell. Don't fill it to the top, it will boil over when you charge it. Ordinarily I'd recommend not watering the battery before charging it, but I imagine this one is probably low on water to begin with. After you put some water in it, plug it up to your charger and set it to "Equalize Charge", sometimes called "Weekly Charge". That causes the charger to run a few hours longer. The cells in the battery charge at slightly different rates, and by running the charger a little extra it brings them all up closer to 100%. That alone may bring the battery back up to a useful level, for limited use.

Hope that helps, holler if you have any other questions. What brand of forklift and battery is it?

/ Forklift battery #7  
Very good response!!!!!!!!

I'll second that, we inherited an electric forklift from another plant and it was not charging to a full charge and I hit the equalize button not knowing what it does and the batteries have been fully charging ever since (a month ago). I did not know what this equalize button actually did until I read your explaination. I read the booklet that came with the charger but didn't see anything as far as explaining equalization. I do know how to read the flashing display in the charger now. It's a Yuasa charger 150amp with a Cat forklift set for 600volt three phase here in Canada.

Thanks
Steve

/ Forklift battery #8  
I use to repair forklifts, and I guess it is a narrow standup machine. As an electrician everyone above is more than correct. But seeing that OSHA will not be visting your shop here is another idea. If the charger/ battery do not cut the mustard you could fill the battery cavity with the same weight of steel. Then you could put on behind the machine a small single wheeled cart with less batteries, to be charged from a 12 V truck
charger. This is how we use to move big electric trucks around in the shop when the main battery was not yet installed.
Depending on your plan of use you could mount the batteries on the wall and have a hanging cable to the machine. Electric mining machines use the same idea.

I have to Go Now ( the safety police are all ready here )
Craig Clayton

/ Forklift battery #9  
Also make cables are good and you have clean connections, use distilled or mineral free water for filling.

/ Forklift battery #10  
look at some L16 2 volt batteries Trojan makes them and see if you can get enough in a custom rack to make your voltage.
wind-sun_2131_26901875

Bake sure the battery cables are big enough.

The other thing is weight the data plate will tell you what the minimum battery weight has to be.

tom