Case International 255 Intermittent starting problem

/ Case International 255 Intermittent starting problem #1  

Michael1960

Tractor
Case International 255 4X4
Has anyone had a similar problem?
When I attempt to start the tractor by turning the key switch to start, the solenoid on the starter clicks but does not engage the starter. I have changed the key switch, had the starter rebuilt, cleaned and reseated the grounds, checked continuity in the harness including the neutral safety switch, pto switch, wiring to and tested the glow plugs and taken apart and cleaned the connectors. There seems to be a substantial voltage drop from somewhere when the key is turned to start position so the solenoid is not getting adequate voltage. When the starter is jumped with an independent wiring source from the battery terminal to the switch terminal on the starter, it turns over every time. Any ideas?
Thank you for your time....and answers?

/ Case International 255 Intermittent starting problem #2  
If I read your post correctly you are not getting full battery voltage to the large post on the solenoid but are at the small post. Looking at the list of repairs you have done, I would try new cable from battery to solenoid. they do go bad(excessive resistance between cable/connector).
If you do not have full battery voltage at small post, fix that wire first.

/ Case International 255 Intermittent starting problem
Thank you. I'll give that a try.

/ Case International 255 Intermittent starting problem #4  
I have a case ih 254, which is very similar to yours. I have had several issues which caused this problem. The ground wire attachment point on the frame got very rusty, resulting in a poor, intermittent ground. Also check the safety switches. The range trans must be in neutral, and the pto must be off. If one of these switches are going bad it might result in starting problems. I have had this tractor since new so I'm pretty familiar with it. Hope this helps.
Chuck

I added a momentary switch directly from the solenoid and starter and it turns over like it is supposed to. So it is some component in the system. I am hoping it is not the timer because CI wants $240.00 for it and I have been able to countermeasure the problem with the momentary switch.

Just wanted to thank the individuals who did reply with suggestions. It was greatly appreciated. As I stated, I put in a momentary switch wired thru the neutral safety switch in the aux trans. to the starter. Not a CI fix but a practical and far less expensive fix none the less.
Thanks again.
Mike:thumbsup:

/ Case International 255 Intermittent starting problem #7  
Has anyone had a similar problem?
When I attempt to start the tractor by turning the key switch to start, the solenoid on the starter clicks but does not engage the starter. I have changed the key switch, had the starter rebuilt, cleaned and reseated the grounds, checked continuity in the harness including the neutral safety switch, pto switch, wiring to and tested the glow plugs and taken apart and cleaned the connectors. There seems to be a substantial voltage drop from somewhere when the key is turned to start position so the solenoid is not getting adequate voltage. When the starter is jumped with an independent wiring source from the battery terminal to the switch terminal on the starter, it turns over every time. Any ideas?
Thank you for your time....and answers?
I have had the same problem for 35 years and Finally found the problem and fixed my 255 case. I did like you did replaced the ignition switch and I checked continuity on my safety switches and finally figured out that the glow plugs are also tied into the safety part of the key switch so I cleaned all the connections on the glow plugs and it now starts as it should. I have started over 50 times now without any trouble and it starts with just a bump on the key switch! Hope this helps anyone else having trouble as I have had!