PTO Reverser Kit

/ PTO Reverser Kit #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
I have a 78 Kubota B6000 which has a counter-clockwise rotating PTO. I have been told on this board that there used to be a reverser kit (a gearbox that bolts on the PTO) available. Hub City no longer makes the kit - does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks for your help!

/ PTO Reverser Kit #2  
I suggest you contact a tractor salvage yard that has access to the parts network, if you haven't already. Unfortunately you're looking for something that's short in supply and long in demand. I bet you already knew that. If you do find one, I'd suggest buying a lottery ticket the same day.

The other solution is to build one in a machine shop. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea how the Hub City unit was attached? Did it slide onto the pto shaft? Was there any other way it attached to the tractor?

/ PTO Reverser Kit #3  
Your right, may be easier to fabricate than locate. A good machineist should be able to bang one out in a day. Basically it is just a flange and body to bolt to the tractor somehow, and a 1:1 ( assuming the old cc pto is 540 ) set of gears/ bearings. Get fancy and make it oil bath w/ seals. and incorporate an ORC.

Let us know how it turns out.

Soundguy

/ PTO Reverser Kit #4  
I think it would take more than a day. You'd need a split case to run the gears in oil. Anything else wouldn't last. That would have to be milled out of thick steel or aluminum plate. You'd need helical gears for quieter running in the correct ratio to get 540. I'm thinking the input shaft should slip over the existing PTO. That means finding a piece of stock that's already machined with internal splines. Most job shops would have a problem making that. You'd still have to key the gear to the shaft. Depending on the thickness of the shaft stock, you might have to build up an area.

The output shaft might be easier. You'd need a way of holding the bearings in the case sides and installing seals.
You'd need a lubricant drain and a fill/vent. It could be done. But not in a day. If he could do all the leg work for the shop by finding and supplying the gears, shaft stock, bearings, seals, plate, etc. and a rough drawing, it'd save a lot of time.

It would be a good project.

/ PTO Reverser Kit #5  
If you have to get that thing milled by a machine shop, I suspect it would be cheaper just to get another tractor.

/ PTO Reverser Kit #6  
SOunds like it might be easier to make the engine counter rotate/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Just remember, forward will be reverse & vise versa/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

/ PTO Reverser Kit #7  
I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to machineists. We have 2 local guys that are like the professor on gilligans island.. they could make a nuclear reactor out of some coconuts and string.

The one guy runs a pnuematic and hyd's repair shop, and it is nothing for him to make new input plates or rings for pumps, or custom cylinders with spool valves machined out of a solid block of aluminum, in one day. He's done it for us on more than one occasion.

The other guy has a mobile rig.. looks like an old ups or bread truck. Has a lathe/mill, generator and welder.

He's come out to our jobsites in the morning, and line-bored and sleaved our machines on the job. Once he had to make us a set of gears, and a slack adjuster for a chain driven torque converter. He just drove out there.. took some measurements, grabbed a hunk of steele from his scrap pile and started to work, and was finished before the sun set.
Of course.. both these guys services come at big cost too...

As for helical gears..... do you think gear noise is going to be heard over the tractor an pto driven device?

I've driven fords that had the stright cut gears and realize that you always think the rear end is fixing to drop out.. but heck... the price difference may be worth it.

Some of the parts you mention may be easy to locate / fabricate. Splined couplers could be the basis for a mount for the drive gear. The output could incorporate an ORC adapter that uses a smooth input shaft / w key.. or just weld up the output shaft to the ORC input. Lotsa ways to go about this.. still a bit of money either way.... just depends on if a new tractor is cheaper than making the old one work.

Soundguy

/ PTO Reverser Kit #8  
There's ways to hold down the cost. Most areas have technical schools that offer machine shop in the evening for adults. In the past I've signed up for a course just to get access to the equipment. Most instructors after they get to know you, will leave you alone to work on a project. If you need help, it's there.

Soundguy, why don't you and I see what we can find on the internet? Anyone know what rpm the pto on that B6100 puts out. I figure we get that. Then find the gears that will handle the horsepower and provide the correct ratio for 540 on the output. Once the gears are selected we'll have an idea of the overall size needed for the gearbox. I bet we could put together a bill of materials. Want to try?

/ PTO Reverser Kit #9  
Sure.

Anyone know the speed of the pto on that machine?

This will be a bit of a change of pace for me/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.. usually when I build something... 1/4" is 'close enough'/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif ( road construction - Civil Engineering.

And the old joke: Do you know what the difference between Mechanical eng's and Civil Eng's? Civil Eng's make the targets.. Mechanical Eng's make the things that shoot the targets...

Soundguy

/ PTO Reverser Kit #10  
Whatever happened to Steve? I suspect he headed for the hills when you guys started talking about manufacturing one of these gizmo$$$.