Modifying chains

/ Modifying chains #1  

MikeInEburg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Greetings.
I purchased 2nd hand chains last winter for a very good price, even though they weren't exactly the correct size. They were OK, but had a lot of slop. My goal is to modify before the snow flies in earnest.

The chains are duo-grip style. Visualize the chain that goes around the inside/outside perimeter of the tire with one link horizontal, the next link vertical, next horizontal, etc. Right now all of the cross-chains are attached to horizontal links. What I need to do is remove one link between each cross-chain attachment point. The result will be that one cross-chain will be on a horizontal link, and the next on a vertical link. There will be five links between these two points. The question (you knew there HAD to be a question buried in here somewhere) is - will that put undue pressure on the links, leading to premature failure?

Question two: does anyone have a great way to open the claws on the side chains - other than hammer/chisel/vice combo? With essentially 96 "claws" to open, I'm thinking of a rig involving my wood splitter - but the safety angel on my right shoulder keeps telling me to forget it. I don't have a shop press.

Thanks
Mike

/ Modifying chains #2  
There is a tool for opening and closing links, don't know what it's called, but if you find one, make sure it's well made, I've seen lots of cheap one's that are weak. Aaron

/ Modifying chains #3  
I believe www.tirechains.com has such a tool. Their tutorial for installing chains suggests using a cold chisel to spread the link...not sure I'd want to do that for 96 claws.

ADDED: They do have the tool you need...look on the left of the screen for tire chain repair.

/ Modifying chains #4  
As mentioned, there is a tool that works great. I borrowed one from a garage that ran trucks.
As to the cross chains being on the just the even links (horizontal), I made mine up with the plan you would like to do, because that worked best. I don't think there is any problem (have been running my tractor chains over 10 years now) having one cross chain on a vertical link and the next one attached to a horizontal. A little bit of twist to the side chain, but the chain just doesn't seem to mind at all. :D
I think you should carry out your plan.

Attachments

• Tire_chains.JPG
    Tire_chains.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 251
   / Modifying chains #5  
Greetings.
I purchased 2nd hand chains last winter for a very good price, even though they weren't exactly the correct size. They were OK, but had a lot of slop. My goal is to modify before the snow flies in earnest.

The chains are duo-grip style. Visualize the chain that goes around the inside/outside perimeter of the tire with one link horizontal, the next link vertical, next horizontal, etc. Right now all of the cross-chains are attached to horizontal links. What I need to do is remove one link between each cross-chain attachment point. The result will be that one cross-chain will be on a horizontal link, and the next on a vertical link. There will be five links between these two points. The question (you knew there HAD to be a question buried in here somewhere) is - will that put undue pressure on the links, leading to premature failure?

Question two: does anyone have a great way to open the claws on the side chains - other than hammer/chisel/vice combo? With essentially 96 "claws" to open, I'm thinking of a rig involving my wood splitter - but the safety angel on my right shoulder keeps telling me to forget it. I don't have a shop press.

Thanks
Mike

Have you tried using chain tighteners after you install the chains? They help take out some slop.

/ Modifying chains
Have you tried using chain tighteners after you install the chains? They help take out some slop.

We used bungees last year to take up the slop - but it was a lot of slop. Because the bungees aren't super-tight, they allow the chains to twist up and start catching bolt heads on inside of fender. By my calculations, I'll be removing 12'' of side chain and am trying to look "long term".

I saw the tool on tirechains.com - probably a good way to go. They'll cost about the same as what I paid for the chains... but in the end, I'll still be ahead of the game. Or maybe I'll buy a small shop press and make up a jig - and have a more widely functional tool when I'm finished. Now to convince "She who must be obeyed"...

Mike

/ Modifying chains #7  
Properly fit tire chains will need no tighteners.
Good luck on fixing up a jig to open the cross chain holders. They are not real difficult, and a well-thought out jig with cold chisel and bfh will work. They don't have to be opened much to unhook them.
1-2 hours of punch, hammer and channel locks will have it done.

/ Modifying chains #8  
If you have a local truck stop or even a truck sales / parts warehouse around , they may also carry the tool you are looking for . Bought mine at our local freightliner dealer . Also have a couple of bags of cross links .

With the tool , takes maybe 3 or 4 minutes to replace 2 to 4 cross lengths per chain when I am the repairing mode . Usually end up replacing 1 or 2 cross lengths total on the 6 chains that I normally run when I have to chain up . Just depends on how much bare pavement California makes me run on .:mad:

Fred H.

/ Modifying chains
Why not just shorten one end of the chains?:confused:

I wish it were so easy... The duo-grip style has cross-chains that are connected in the center of the tread which keeps constant the side chain distance between points where the cross-chain connects. I essentially need to lose two inches (one link) between cross-chain connection points to make my slop go away.
Mike