rim for john deere 1120

/ rim for john deere 1120 #1  

homersimpson

Tractor
john deere 1120
i have a rusted rear rim on my 1120 and is impossible to find 1 in western canada. can they be repaired?

/ rim for john deere 1120
anybody please!

/ rim for john deere 1120 #3  
I was faced with similar problem;

19" mitsubishi rims.
Searches led to like well over $500 for a USED! (+shipping)

I went to a big truck tire shop * that told me that they had a welder that would weld/patch as required to 'get her going' for a flat $50.
They would then have added a liner to cover the welds and protect the inner tube.
Note that balance on a tractor is not necessary due to low speeds.
Luck had it that my rims were fair and when mounted on the big machine, they, with a grinder powered wire brush polished the rim and primed it for protection.
New tires and inner tubes + juice for weight cost me $900.

Calcium cloride is what was eating my rims.

Only solution tractor places had was 'new rim', no alternatives.

Last 2 tires my size in Canada!
Should be good for another 18 years.
My treads were still great but the weather checks were down to the cords and I feared a blowout at any time. Most probably at -30 and 5 miles by foot from home, LOL.
I call it insurance!

*BIG, like a semi was there installing 18 big tires for something like $5000.!

/ rim for john deere 1120 #4  
Can you tell us the size of the rim, or the tire and bolt pattern?
David from jax

tractor rim 1.jpg

tractor rim 2.jpg

tractor rim 3.jpg the rim is 16.9x30

/ rim for john deere 1120 #6  
Don't look too bad - are you restoring this rig, does it puncture tubes, is it worse inside? Calcium in tires? Why do you want to replace it?
Jim

/ rim for john deere 1120 #7  
Shucks, steel brush better yet sand blast, good primer and a coat of fresh paint.
If the inside is very rough, they sell liners to protect the inner tubes.

Wish mine had been that nice.

(Unless you plan on attending a 'concour d'elegance' event.)

Bet that rim is close to 1/4" thick metal.

you cant see it in the pictures but the tube is sticking out of a hole about 3 inches long about 2 inches from stem and yes i have calcium in the rear tires.

/ rim for john deere 1120 #9  
I'd weld a steel patch on the inside to well cover the damaged area then grind or disk sand the welds nice and smooth and use a liner + new inner tube.
Naturally you'd want to remove all rust and paint all the inside; suggest Tremclad metal paint.
AND no more calcium chloride- use the newer non corrosive fillers or 'beetle juice'.
Some use windshield washer fluid.

I am sure you can save that rim, shucks it is almost 5/32 steel (or more) thick.
A decent welder with torches can braze heat and pound a flat piece of steel to form fit and patch that rim in about 1/2 hour or so.
Like I said, a bit of sanding & buffing with a tube liner and you'd be back in shape.
Might be unbalanced at 50-60 MPH but then do you work at that speed?

Look, you have nothing to loose compared to the price of a rim.
I was told by the tire shop that fixed me up that they do that sort of repair all the time on tractors.

Best of luck.

thanks for the replies. were going to try weld a patch.calcium going back in. but i thought could get rim from jd but discontinued!