tractor stuck in forward gear

/ tractor stuck in forward gear #1  

EMKULU

Tractor
mitsubishi D1850
While using my Mitsubishi D 1850 4X4 last night I could not get it out of second gear. I was using the bucket loader to load a tiller on a trailer, it was working fine but all of a sudden the shifter could not be moved to another gear. The clutch seems to work as it will travel forward, but can't shift it to another gear or reverse. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

/ tractor stuck in forward gear #2  
I think that we need more information.

Does it actually move forward normally in 2nd without binding up?

I have seen transmissions (older and worn) that shifts further than it should and get stuck in gear due to worn detent balls/ springs, or sludged and sticking detents. Also I have seen a transmission shift lever's end and detents worn so badly that it puts the trans in a gear and then the shift lever moves out of place and into what is thought to be neutral, and then allows you to shift into an additional gear and the trans is locked up and wont move. Hope this helps and keep us informed.

/ tractor stuck in forward gear #3  
Agree with Zork, Just sounds like wear in the shifting parts. Probably you can fix this by taking off the top of the case and aligning the shift rods in neutral (line up the notches) then reinstall, no new parts. Then it might be a matter of shifting deliberately and slowly. Or maybe build up the shift lever end with weld and smoothing to original shape. Maybe hard to get a new shift lever for that rig?
Jim

/ tractor stuck in forward gear
Thanks for the info guys. It does move forward in gear. I'll remove the plate and see what I see.

Hey Guys, My buddy and I took the plate off today. All the gears and rods looked really good, but the one rod wasn't moving and the fluid was really milky. Lightly tapped on the rod and it came free. Not sure why it was binding. Drained fluid and replaced with new. Lined up rods, put back together and it's working fine. Shifting smoother than ever. Thanks again.

/ tractor stuck in forward gear #7  
EMKULU, The milky look usually means water in the oil. Check out things like shifter boots for the source. If you can't find a source for the water consider parking inside or tarping the tractor.

/ tractor stuck in forward gear #8  
Congratulations! My thoughts are unless you identify why it happened and correct the problem it is likely to happen again. The milky oil may have allowed the detent balls not to operate properly, but the detent balls may be pitted from rust, allowed the rod to move to the degree it did, and why the rod was stuck in the first place. Good luck.

I replaced both the PTO shifter boot and the gear shifter boot. Both were ripped, so I'm hoping this corrects the problem.