Battery fluid disappeared

/ Battery fluid disappeared #1  

JNB

Tractor
2006 New Holland TC40
My NH TC 40 had its battery replaced a year and a half ago. The original (2006) leaked and it was replaced under warranty. The tractor didnt start yeasterday - checked fluid - it was nearly all gone. Threw in some battery acid I had lying around from filling my motorcycle battery and added some Dasani water (only the best for my toy!) so that it came uo to the top. Placed it on a 2 amp charging rate - will check it out this evening. Should the battery fluid have dried up? If I need to replace the battery, can I get a walmart battery or does it need a special heavy duty battery from a specialty store?

/ Battery fluid disappeared #2  
More likely boiled out from over charge.

/ Battery fluid disappeared #3  
I think you should have just topped it off with distilled water. Mineral water is the wrong stuff, even if it is expensive.

/ Battery fluid disappeared #4  
There isn't any acid discoloration on the radiator is there? Some of the early TC tractors had a problem from the fan pulling the air across the battery and sucking up the acid and eventually eating up the radiator. I think the problem was fixed before your year, but something to check out.

/ Battery fluid disappeared #5  
I would measure for clearance also cables long enough..some setups are tight fit.

/ Battery fluid disappeared #6  
1) No, probably boiled out from over charge as mentioned.

2) Any battery that fits and is for automotive starting service.

It sounds like you need to do some investigating as to something causing physical damage or an overcharging situation.

Baring a cracked battery, overcharging will boil the battery. With the engine running at ス throttle the battery voltage must not exceed 14.5 volts. 14.7 and more will cause early battery failure, overheating and may cause the case to crack.

/ Battery fluid disappeared #7  
1) No, probably boiled out from over charge as mentioned.

2) Any battery that fits and is for automotive starting service.

It sounds like you need to do some investigating as to something causing physical damage or an overcharging situation.

Any battery that fits is only partially true. Make absolutly sure that the positve and negative terminals are in the correct positions on the new battery, if the battery is hooked up backwards, severe damage to the electrical system will occure.

/ Battery fluid disappeared #9  
As a general rule it is the water the evaporates and needs to be replaced when caused be excessive charging... adding acid, or a lot of acid usually isn't recommended.

High charging rate will literally boil the water right out.

/ Battery fluid disappeared #10  
When the battery on my JD quit after a few years, I went down to the local Kragen and bought a new one -- no I don't particularly like their batteries, but they stand behind their warranty, and I have had no trouble getting replacements in the past.

For some reason, Deere has chosen to fit a "reversed terminal" battery in my machine, but I was able to get a new one off the shelf. When I changed out the battery, I discovered the cables were more than long enough to have used a normal terminal configuration.

Anyway, the new el cheapo battery is working just fine.