Case 970 battery removal

/ Case 970 battery removal #1  

DemcoEd

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Tinkering on my son's 970 Case tractor and want to put new batteries in the ole girl. I'm feeing pretty stupid today as I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old ones out of the tractor. Can you give me some pointers??? This is the later model 970 that is painted white, not yellow like the earlier ones, don't know if there is a difference.

/ Case 970 battery removal #2  
Many years ago in high school I operated 970 , 1370 , 1570 for a farmer... seems like there was a plate door in cab/platform floor?... maybe this helps , good luck .

/ Case 970 battery removal
you're right there is a acess door on the floor of the cab, but there is no way the battery will fit through the opening unless I'm making this more difficult than I need too.

/ Case 970 battery removal #4  
I think the battery mounting frame unbolts and slides forward out from under the cab/platform. it is a pain... I remember years ago we relocated it to alongside the frame and made a cover for it. This was an 1175 with a cab, I assume they are the same. Look up from underneath the platform, it should become more obvious.

do you remember which bolts need to be removed.

/ Case 970 battery removal #6  
If they won't fit through the opening...some tractors have a type of clip and hinge system ....

/ Case 970 battery removal #7  
do you remember which bolts need to be removed.

It was a long time ago that I worked on it. I don't recall exactly how it was, but I know you can't remove the batteries from the top. Does the framework underneath look kind of like a drawer slide? if so, there should be a bolt or pin to release it to move forward. Sorry I can't recall more clearly, it was 20 + yrs ago.

/ Case 970 battery removal #8  
The operator's manual for my 1070 says "remove the tray retaining bolt, disconnect cables and slide the tray forward." My 1070 has had the batteries relocated to the starter side of the tractor, as has most 70 series tractors. My Dad bought a 970 new in '74 and I remember sliding that tray was a royal pain. Probably did the slide thing only a couple of times and the tray came out and found a new home. Once they get dirt and rust in the slides they don't slide worth a darn.

Kim

I should have responded back sooner but we did get it figured out. There is a 5/16 bolt that is in a recessed hole that needs to be removed. That bolt keeps the battery box in place. Once I found that the box actually slid out fairly easy. New batteries installed and she runs like a top. Thanks for all the help.

/ Case 970 battery removal #10  
I should have responded back sooner but we did get it figured out. There is a 5/16 bolt that is in a recessed hole that needs to be removed. That bolt keeps the battery box in place. Once I found that the box actually slid out fairly easy. New batteries installed and she runs like a top. Thanks for all the help.
good to hear :)