Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    john deere 2210 2006 model

Default Engine Failure in NC

After much research, I bought a John deere tractor in 2006. I believed I had a well made, durable product. I maintained the tractor as directed and was very pleased with it.

In January or February of 2010, the tractor lost power, and I took it to Bypass Tractor in Waynesville, NC. A few days later, I called to check on the progress, and the technician didnÁ®š tell me much. Over the next few weeks, I would call periodically, and each time, I was given a different story. Bypass Tractor eventually told me that they had gotten into the engine and diagnosed broken ring pins, and the rods and cranks were destroyed. They told me that the manufacturer would not replace any parts as it was out of warranty. After weeks of conversations with a representative from John Deere and/or Bypass Tractor, John Deere supplied over $2000 of parts. Then Bypass Tractor told me that the engine still wasnÁ®š right; the problem was in the injection pump and would cost another $1400. They had to order a timing tool because they didnÁ®š have one. Weeks later, they tore the engine down again and still couldnÁ®š figure it out. They rebuilt it and sent it offsite to a local diesel mechanic. The service manager refused to tell me the mechanicÁ—ī name or the location of my tractor. The owner of Bypass Tractor wouldnÁ®š return my calls. The owner did send a loaner tractor for me to use as it was now spring and time for mowing.
    After breaking the engine down a third time, the service manager called me and said it still didnÁ®š run right. He asked if IŚ£‡ be willing to take the tractor back as it was if they dropped all the labor charges! The rep from John Deere intervened and arranged for me to take the tractor out of state to a larger dealer to work on the problem.
    When Bypass returned the tractor, it was a mess: in addition to a three-time dismantled engine, the battery was dead and the brakes were inoperable. They had kept the tractor for over three months.
    I took the tractor to the Ritchie dealership in Athens, and the service manager called me within three hours, before I could even get home. They had already checked the injection pump and were sending it off that day to have it rebuilt ($500) rather than replace it with a new one for the $1400 Bypass wanted to do. He also told me that when Bypass Tractor in Waynesville, NC had rebuilt the engine, it had been damaged at the head and cylinder walls. Ritchie contacted the company representative, and they advised to put in a new short block engine because Bypass had damaged the engine beyond repair. Additionally, the service manager in TN said other parts were missing, though John Deere replaced them at Ritchie. The Athens dealer did not charge me for additional parts needed, and John Deere supplied a brand new short block at no charge.
    Ritchie had my tractor fixed in about two weeks. The customer service department and technicians there were consistently polite and responsive, and their work was excellent. John Deere demonstrated their commitment to quality and good customer service. It's well worth the time to bypass Bypass Tractor in Waynesville and drive to Ritchie Tractor in Athens, TN.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet,Several Speedex's,Allis Chalmers, John Deere, Tuff-bilt, Power Mite, Bonanza, Power King, Bobcat Toolcat, Takeuchi Trackhoe

Default Re: Engine Failure in NC

Thanks for the heads up. What model John deere is it?

Is the original shop a Dealership?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NHtd75

In 1988 I bought a new ford pickup from a dealerdhip that must have been run by their cousins-inlaws. Most stupid people I had ever seen in my life.

Speak of a dealer that JD should pull their dealership status....sounds like those guys at bypass could break a cannonball in a sandbox.

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcjunkin View Post
    It's well worth the time to bypass Bypass Tractor in Waynesville and drive to Ritchie Tractor in Athens, TN.
    Richie's is an excellent dealership, as is Dooley's in Athens. I deal with both of them from time to time. Dooley's is where I have found my kubota parts for the best price. I went to Dooley's (for the Kubota machine) after bypassing another dealer, Tyler Brothers in Maryville for a similar poor service experience.
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Tractor
    1966 IH B-414 1979 JD 2040 1998 JD 970 w/ 430FEL

Thanks for sharing. I'll keep your experience in mind if I ever deal with that bunch, which is unlikely. JD has dropped my local dealership due to low sales volume, and the place is shutting down. Bummer.

Snuffy

Tractor

2006 Model 2210. 4 wheel drive.

Tractor

I bought it from Parkway Tractor in Asheville. They are no longer in business. Bypass Tractor is a dealership about 30 minutes' drive from Asheville.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

was bypass a jd dealer?

soundguy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast