PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000

/ PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000 #1  

Clodbuster

Tractor
Ford 8N, Mitsubishi D2650, Belarus 8011L
I'm not sure how I did it but I'm pretty sure that I broke the input shaft for the PTO on my old 3000.

I put a new clutch in and going back together, after the split, I had some problems getting it to go together. I ended up starting longer bolts and then "jimmying" it and taking a few turns and it went back together. I didn't think it was excessive and I didn't hear any noises. But... I got it back together and no PTO. I pulled the side covers and every thing looked good. I pulled the shift cover and had my fiance turn the PTO shaft for me and it's turning all the way through the transmission.

So here's the question. To change the input shaft, I just need to split the tractor again and pull the input cover on the trans? The shaft looks like it will come with it. If this is wrong please tell me.

Also if anybody has any other ideas on this let me know.

Thanks in advance.:)

/ PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000 #2  
G'day pretty near impossible to break the pto shaft putting the tractor back together i would say either wrong clutch or damage it going back together sorry but i think you have to split again
By the way welcome to TBN

Jon

/ PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000 #3  
perhaps you damaged the 2 stage clutch drawing it togehter with them bolts. I'd re split and inspect the clutch.

also.. you didn't remove the pto shaft itself at any time did you?

soundguy

/ PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000
No I didn't remove the shaft. Just the inspection covers to see that nothing was amiss.

Gonna resplit this weekend. Gotta feeling after looking at the blow-ups either I did damage the clutch or I popped a snap ring on the input shaft and pushed it back.

/ PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000 #5  
drawing down with bolts rarely accomplishes anything good. once it is lined up.. it should slip together with a lil persuasion.. if it's hanging.. tha means something is not lined up..

soundguy

Yes. I realize that. It was one of those "you had to be there" to appreciate the situation.

It kept getting right down to the last 3/4" before mating up and just wouldn't.

Not trying to be a "know it all" but this ain't my first tractor split, just the first one I've had trouble with, and the first one I've done on a 3000. So, I was asking, just to see if there's something peculiar to them.

Thanks for your input.

/ PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000 #7  
nothing peculiar.. just like any other split.. when you go back together and it don't, and you force it.. sumtin usually breaks. good luck with it. I hope it's somthing cheap or easy.

soundguy

And the winner is... A broken PTO clutch disc. That's great compared to a broken input shaft or something else wrong with the transmission.

So off to Herbert A. Heitmann in Houston. If anybody is interested they can rebuild any clutch/pressure plate assembly, rearch springs, make springs for trucks, etc. etc.

PM if you want contact info for them. :thumbsup:

/ PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000 #9  
I'm guessing that it needed more accurate alignment.
(Yeah -- it easy to say from THIS side of the monitor. :p)

Glad you are taking it well, I do hate it when I screw up,
sure you do too. At least the 2nd split probably went real
fast with all the bolts clean.

/ PTO Input shaft broke Ford 3000 #10  
ps.. the input shaft makes a jamb up alignment tool.. gives you a chance to change the shaft seal too.. cheap insurance.

soundguy