Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues?

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues? #1  

Four Stop

Hello Everybody-

Just coming in for the day and the '85 Case 585 with 4750 hours just started having some issues. We haven't had a chance to do any real diagnostics, but any thoughts folks might have about the symptoms and possible diagnosis would be a big help for tomorrow.

Scenario:

The Case ran real good this morning, we were using an auger to put some posts in, ran about 4 hours straight with no issues (other than breaking our last shear bolts for the auger). Parked her, shut her off, went in for lunch and then an impromptu run to the parts store to pick up some shear bolts , came back out started her up ater ~2 hours of downtime and BAM no power steering, bucket lifting very slowly and the transmission was slow/reluctant to engage. We ran her for a good 1/2 hour trying to get her to warm up, it was about 28 degrees out today--thinking that the hydraulic fluid was just gummed up a bit, but no change in how it operated.

We brought her back to the shop parked her and did several checks (one even according to the manual) of the tranny oil and the transmission/hydraulic fluid level came up perfect each time. Some small drips from the under the tractor which are hydraulic fluid, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Any thoughts out there from folks?!?!

Any suggestions, thoughts, insights, etc would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-FourStop

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues? #2  
I'm just wondering if you might have got some water in the hydraulic filter, just as you shut it down, and it froze. Does your three point work? If the hich doesn't work then you have a hydraulic problem. Pluged filter ,bad hose, [a hose can let lose on the inside, and plug the hose or a down streem valve, or such] bad pump. If the hitch works then you have a valve problem.
Dave

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues? #3  
Does it have a loader? I was bush hogging with my brother's 485 several years ago and it started running warmer than usual and I think I remember the hydraulics being weak. The loader valve for the boom somehow got out of position and was activating the relief valve-for a long time. I moved the lever back to neutral position and had no more problem.

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues?
Hi Dave-

Thanks for the ideas. We fired her up this morning and had the same issues as the previous day: No power steering, bucket raising slowly, tough to engage transmission, but the three point hitch was working fine--like you said, probably a valve problem Any sugestions for diagnosing where it's coming from?

Oliver- Yes, it has a loader--we'll check the loader valve and see if that's the issue.

Thanks folks for the reply.

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues? #5  
I have a 574 and have frequently had similar issue but found that the lever to operate the rear remotes was off center. Now, I listen for sound of a bypass operation and it is the lever being knocked around by my right foot.

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues?
Thanks for the suggestion avondale--that didn't turn out to be the issue.

Just got off the phone with the Case dealer, and they diagnosed the problem even before I finished describing the symptoms--they say it's common in the 585 and 685 Case International tractors. They're calling for a problem with the Multiple Control Valve (MCV)--saying that the Spool and Spring are getting gummed up. Going to go out and be real gentle with a screwdriver and attempt to dislodge it. I'm going to move this discussion over to the Case section if anyone has any other suggestions on easy ways to fix it.