backhoe storage

/ backhoe storage #1  

edt

Silver Member
Tractor
long 300dtc
Question storage for backhoe for the winter should i grease up fittings or just put some on the cylinder that will be open to the air thanks edt

/ backhoe storage #2  
Both would be advisable.

I like to spray and wipe down the cylinder pistions with WD-40 first though. That displaces any water.

/ backhoe storage #3  
It seems that WD40 is almost to light, as it appears to evaporate in a short amount of time. Spray on White Lithium Grease or some thing as heavy might be better for storage of cylinders. Personnally I wipe them down with vasoline and have never had any trouble.

/ backhoe storage #4  
I think Kodiak is on the right track, i.e. doing something to protect exposed cylinder rods is probably a good idea. I plan to grease mine down with something this season(Vaseline actually sounds pretty good).

However, my poor backhoe has survived with no cylinder rod care for eight years...and the rods are as shiny as new. There is a thread, "How to store 3PH backhoe??". I would like to offer you a link to a post I made there, but I haven't been able to figure out how to make a hot link work.

OkieG

/ backhoe storage #5  
OkieG
To make a link to a URL. Cut and paste the URL into
(url=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=192495&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=How%20to%20store%203PH%20backhoe&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=192495)Click Here(/url).
There cannot be a space after the equal and start of url. Just change the ( ) to [ ].

This is what you get when it’s done.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=192495&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post192495>Click Here</A>
Thanks for the reminder. I still have to get my BH properly stored.

/ backhoe storage #6  
I had some rust pits develop on my backhoe dipperstick ram the first winter I owned it. I asked the dealer if I should be using some type of grease to protect it, since I was storing it outside. He said I should't have to use anything, and had me bring the backhoe in to replace the ram under warranty.

Although the dealer was quite adament that the hard chroming of the shafts should not rust if it was in good condition, I have made it a practice since then to coat all of the exposed shafts that I leave out over the winter. Better to be safe then sorry since the hoe is now out of warranty.

I use the chain and bar oil you use for the chainsaw. It seems to work great. Dries to a waxy coating that stays in place, but wipes off easily the first time you use the equipment.

Dave

/ backhoe storage #7  
Ed -- I parked my BH under a tamarack tree on firm level ground, greased all my fittings, and sprayed the sensitive areas with Boeshield T9. I got that stuff in a woodworking shop for my table saw top, but didn't like the tacky film it left behind. Since the stuff was developed for exposed surfaces on aircraft, I tried it on the backhoe. Works fine, and easier to apply than the grease smearing thing.

Pete

/ backhoe storage
Thanks you all for the info i will do this i hope next year to have storage inside for tractor and attachments.
EDT

/ backhoe storage #9  
Just do like I do and USE it
all winter.
What's a little snow and cold.
BTW I don't have cabs or heat.
Look at all the seat time u are losing :)

/ backhoe storage #10  
My BH stays undercover for the winter but stays attached to myB2710 I have'nt thought about any preventative maintenance onthe cylinders. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif I do wipe some oil on the shiny parts just incase. I admit that winter does get me a little anxious for any excuse to use the hoe but there are'nt too many practical winteruses. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. It makes a great ballast for the FEL, so in the eventof really deep snow/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I'm ready to play again./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif