Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    cub cadet 8454

Default diesel block heater

looking for engine block heater for a Cub Cadet 8454 .
    which is the best one .. it gets cold up here in lake placid n..y.(-25f)
    i prefer magnet or any thing but frost plug type. in is stored in a pole barn
    also a front brush guard for the grill. cc doesn't make one for it anything universal that would fit ? thanx for any help at all??

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: diesel block heater

Quote Originally Posted by huntermf View Post
    also a front brush guard for the grill. cc doesn't make one for it anything universal that would fit ? thanx for any help at all??
    The frost plug type is supposed to be the best type, but you can get one that goes into the lower radiator hose. It does require cutting the hose.

Measure your hose size and order one
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I had two of the magnetic, oil pan heaters last year. Other than warming the oil a little, and that with hours of electric being used, I cannot say much for their abilities to warm the upper half of the engine, including the combustion area, intake area and anti-freeze in the engine. I wasn't impressed. They are out in my shop gathering dust.

I now have a true in block heater and boy, what a huge difference.

The magnetic kind are better than nothing, I suppose, but not that much. YMMV.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Gold Member
    Tractor
    BX24

I recommend that you reconsider the frost plug style unless the plug is high on the block of your engine. A heat source mounted low on the block does the most for the engine and will give you easy and smooth starts. I'm not a big fan of lower radiator hose heaters, but they do work. Be sure to keep your system full, and put a blanke or something over the radiator to prevent wasting heat.
    Al Yelvington
    Russell, PA
    Kubota BX-24 & Kubota RTV-900
    FEL, BH, chipper, box grader, back blade, ford rake, disc harrow, sub-soiler, mid-soil buster, post hole digger, brush hog, spreader, sprayer, quick hitch, log splitter, block heater and lots of lights!

www.youtube.com/ayelvington

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    '05 Kubota BX1830

Quote Originally Posted by bp fick View Post
    I had two of the magnetic, oil pan heaters last year. Other than warming the oil a little, and that with hours of electric being used, I cannot say much for their abilities to warm the upper half of the engine, including the combustion area, intake area and anti-freeze in the engine. I wasn't impressed. They are out in my shop gathering dust.

I now have a true in block heater and boy, what a huge difference.

The magnetic kind are better than nothing, I suppose, but not that much. YMMV.
    Been There, Done That. 100% agree. Magnetic heaters are a little better than nothing, but not much. Given the 15 minutes it took to install my block plug heater - I don't know why I ever wasted my time on the magnetic type.
    '05 Kubota 1830
    HST, FEL, 54" MMM, Canopy,
    Scraper blade, Box blade, Pallet Forks for 3pt,
    Boom, 7' front mount snow blade,
    14" Bottom plow, Rototiller

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

I put a freeze plug type block heater in mine and it works just great best money spent so far for winter usage besides 4wd and white bottle PS.

Tractor
    Dong Feng 354 (Oct 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by huntermf View Post
    Frost plug heaters are still the best and to most effective. For frost plug heaters there is no universal fit , but here is the link to the Temro site with the catalog of every size and application they make. You should be able to find one that works. A very easy install, but you should drain your cooling system and if it doesn't need changing anyways refill it.

Catalogs

Dave
    DF-354 (Oct.2008), Town Sunny 404 Loader,
    Town Sunny 3pt BH -6',
    3pt Log Splitter - 26",
    3pt 12" PHD
    8' Snow Plow Blade adapted to FEL,
    3 pt 7' Rear Blade,
    FEL / 3pt Forks,
    Hydraulic Toplink.
    3pt Hydraulic Crane

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford '92 2120

If you can't find your model listed measure your freeze plug diameter. It may be metric so you need to use a caliper not a tape measure. Also, NAPA has a vast data base and may be able to look up your model
    Steve...

"My biggest fear is that when I'm gone my wife will sell all my tractor gear for what I said I paid for it. "

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

The freeze plug heater I used was Katco 400w and they had the 30mm size I needed for my Yanmar and it was only $27 very good value imho. hth

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

I just paid $29 for a replacement cord for my lower rad hose heater at the auto supply store. Found out later that the whole heater was $35....
    On real cold nights a blanket over the hood makes a BIG difference on any marginal heater. I've got a block,rad hose and battery heater so it just takes an hour to warm things up even at minus 30.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast