diesel block heater

/ diesel block heater #1  

huntermf

Tractor
cub cadet 8454
looking for engine block heater for a cub cadet 8454 .
which is the best one .. it gets cold up here in lake placid n..y.(-25f)
i prefer magnet or any thing but frost plug type. in is stored in a pole barn
also a front brush guard for the grill. cc doesn't make one for it anything universal that would fit ? thanx for any help at all??

/ diesel block heater #2  
also a front brush guard for the grill. cc doesn't make one for it anything universal that would fit ? thanx for any help at all??

The frost plug type is supposed to be the best type, but you can get one that goes into the lower radiator hose. It does require cutting the hose.

Measure your hose size and order one

/ diesel block heater #3  
I had two of the magnetic, oil pan heaters last year. Other than warming the oil a little, and that with hours of electric being used, I cannot say much for their abilities to warm the upper half of the engine, including the combustion area, intake area and anti-freeze in the engine. I wasn't impressed. They are out in my shop gathering dust.

I now have a true in block heater and boy, what a huge difference.

The magnetic kind are better than nothing, I suppose, but not that much. YMMV.

/ diesel block heater #4  
I recommend that you reconsider the frost plug style unless the plug is high on the block of your engine. A heat source mounted low on the block does the most for the engine and will give you easy and smooth starts. I'm not a big fan of lower radiator hose heaters, but they do work. Be sure to keep your system full, and put a blanke or something over the radiator to prevent wasting heat.

/ diesel block heater #5  
I had two of the magnetic, oil pan heaters last year. Other than warming the oil a little, and that with hours of electric being used, I cannot say much for their abilities to warm the upper half of the engine, including the combustion area, intake area and anti-freeze in the engine. I wasn't impressed. They are out in my shop gathering dust.

I now have a true in block heater and boy, what a huge difference.

The magnetic kind are better than nothing, I suppose, but not that much. YMMV.

Been There, Done That. 100% agree. Magnetic heaters are a little better than nothing, but not much. Given the 15 minutes it took to install my block plug heater - I don't know why I ever wasted my time on the magnetic type.

/ diesel block heater #6  
I put a freeze plug type block heater in mine and it works just great best money spent so far for winter usage besides 4wd and white bottle PS.

/ diesel block heater #7  

Frost plug heaters are still the best and to most effective. For frost plug heaters there is no universal fit , but here is the link to the Temro site with the catalog of every size and application they make. You should be able to find one that works. A very easy install, but you should drain your cooling system and if it doesn't need changing anyways refill it.

Catalogs

Dave

/ diesel block heater #8  
If you can't find your model listed measure your freeze plug diameter. It may be metric so you need to use a caliper not a tape measure. Also, NAPA has a vast data base and may be able to look up your model

/ diesel block heater #9  
The freeze plug heater I used was Katco 400w and they had the 30mm size I needed for my Yanmar and it was only $27 very good value imho. hth

/ diesel block heater #10  
I just paid $29 for a replacement cord for my lower rad hose heater at the auto supply store. Found out later that the whole heater was $35....
On real cold nights a blanket over the hood makes a BIG difference on any marginal heater. I've got a block,rad hose and battery heater so it just takes an hour to warm things up even at minus 30.