ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires??

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Hello all,

Got my never used/new to me turf tires yesterday. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on whether or not to add fluid to the tires for weight.

My plan is to put them on for the summer months, and use my R1's for the winter. In the summer I'll be moving round bales, flail mowing, roto-tilling, spraying, "aerway-ing", spreading fertilizer, etc. No real heavy pulling. I do have a ballast box with extensions that I can put on if I'm lifting heavy with the loader.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, especially those of you that have golf course/lawn care experience.

Thanks, Happy Holidays!!

-Jer.

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #2  
I'd do both fluid and wheel weights, especially as wet as it's been out there the last couple of years. Maybe put the chains on too. And build an ark to keep your tractor on. :D

The more weight the better though, especially if you're lifting bales with the FEL.

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #3  
Hi all. I understand that you will be doing heavy lifting.But arent you defeating the purpose of turf tires if you load them,making the tractor heavier.more compaction on lawn.give me some feed back on this one.
cbd

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #4  
Hey Drawbar,
Welcome to the forum. I think part of the benefit of turf tires is that the do not have a deep tread, thus they do not bite into the turf as much as R1s. Its not just compaction, but the disturbance of the soil beneath.

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #5  
Thank you for the welcome,Huge amounts of info .on the site.So you r saying evenloadied they wont make noticable indents in the lawn.U know likegrooves.

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #6  
I have fluid in the turf tires on my B3030 Kubota and am happy with it. The extra weight is helpful with the small tractor and the tires don't seem to tear things up any more than the un-weighted turf's did on my old B21. I don't have any golf course type lawn though. I say go for it. If you decide it was a really bad idea you can drain the fluid.

Hello all,

Got my never used/new to me turf tires yesterday. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on whether or not to add fluid to the tires for weight.

My plan is to put them on for the summer months, and use my R1's for the winter. In the summer I'll be moving round bales, flail mowing, roto-tilling, spraying, "aerway-ing", spreading fertilizer, etc. No real heavy pulling. I do have a ballast box with extensions that I can put on if I'm lifting heavy with the loader.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, especially those of you that have golf course/lawn care experience.

Thanks, Happy Holidays!!

-Jer.

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #7  
I have my (41x14x20) turfs filled. These are pretty large tires. No damage to the lawn, but you will see inprints from the tires for a few days (after mowing).
The added stability is well worth those few days of inprints...

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #8  
I've the turf tires filled with windshield wiper fluid on my 4010. VERY much needed for safety.

Ralph

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires??
Hi all. I understand that you will be doing heavy lifting.But arent you defeating the purpose of turf tires if you load them,making the tractor heavier.more compaction on lawn.give me some feed back on this one.
cbd

This is my thought process too.....

Good to hear that there is experience with fluid and it's positive. The tires that I bought are like balloons - 44x18-20 rear and 27x10.5-15 front, so they'll sure distribute the weight nicely.

I'm going to get mine filled before spring and I'll let you know how it is.

Hope you're having a good holiday.

-Jer.

/ ADVICE PLEASE!!! : Fluid/Weight in Turf Tires?? #10  
May I just Rim Guard.no rust