IH B414 hard to start

/ IH B414 hard to start #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
Our 1962 IH B414 GAS engine is stubborn to start...moans, or no noise at all, then it's like it suddenly catches and fires right up. The solenoid seems old and maybe wire is a bit loose, or terminal is loose. I'll try to tighten it. Would a solenoid cause this issue?

Also, connection or terminal on starter seemed a bit loose and I'll try to tighten that aswell.

Any other possible causes, or things to check?

thanks

/ IH B414 hard to start #2  
Our 1962 IH B414 GAS engine is stubborn to start...moans, or no noise at all, then it's like it suddenly catches and fires right up. The solenoid seems old and maybe wire is a bit loose, or terminal is loose. I'll try to tighten it. Would a solenoid cause this issue?

Also, connection or terminal on starter seemed a bit loose and I'll try to tighten that aswell.

Any other possible causes, or things to check?

thanks

Any wires that have been loose for a while will likely have some corrosion on them. Clean the terminals and lugs first before you tighten them back up.

/ IH B414 hard to start
I put in new plugs/tune up. I cleaned the terminals on the solenoid and starter, and tightened. Starter terminal still seems to swivel but is tightly connected (as in solenoid wire is tight, but the post is turning).

Now it definitely starts better. A small groan, then engages and goes. Doesn't quite sound like the instant "YING YING YING" sound a car makes when you turn the key, but it is a big improvement.

/ IH B414 hard to start #4  
I put in new plugs/tune up. I cleaned the terminals on the solenoid and starter, and tightened. Starter terminal still seems to swivel but is tightly connected (as in solenoid wire is tight, but the post is turning).

Now it definitely starts better. A small groan, then engages and goes. Doesn't quite sound like the instant "YING YING YING" sound a car makes when you turn the key, but it is a big improvement.

I've had some luck on starters that have some age on them by taking them apart and cleaning and putting a SMALL amount of grease on the bushings or a little oil on the bearings (if they have bearings). Sounds like the starter may be dragging a little. You can also check the starter terminal at the same time to see if it can be tightened up from the inside. Sometimes the nut on the back of the terminal in the starter gets a little loose.

Also, check the brushes for wear. If it has an external solenoid, take it apart and clean the inside of the plunger tube. A very thin coating of light weight grease will also let the plunger slide easier. If this doesn't help then it's time to look for another starter or have it rebuilt.