Glow Plug Question

/ Glow Plug Question #1  

WNY Tony

Hello, I am new to the forum, and had a question regarding a potential purchase. I posted this initially in the "Buying" Forum, but thought this might be the more appropriate place for the question.

I am looking at buying a Mitsubishi MT180D three cylinder diesel tractor, and went to look at it yesterday. Upon inspecting the motor, I noticed that the wire going to one of the glow plugs had corroded to the point that it was no longer connected. I am new to diesels and don't know enough to understand how big of a problem that is. So here are my questions...

1. If the tractor has been operating with only 2 of 3 glowplugs working, will that have someway damaged the motor? I understand that it would make it harder to start, but my concerns were more if that would cause issues in that third piston? I apologize if this is a dumb beginners question, it just got me worried a little.

2. Generally speaking, will I need to replace the glowplug, or just the wiring connecting it to the next glow plug? If I have to replace the plug, I am assuming it is best to do all three at the same time? If I just have to replace the wiring, is that generic, or is it brand specific?

Thanks in advance for any insights about this.

/ Glow Plug Question #2  
1) will just make it harder to start.

2) only replace the glow plug if it is bad, repair the wire .

/ Glow Plug Question #3  
I vote with Don.
Glow plugs are a start aid, nothing more.

Mark

/ Glow Plug Question #4  
For replacement, 10-8 gauge wire and some crimps will justify.