water in compressor oil

/ water in compressor oil #1  

tiltbed

Bronze Member
Tractor
ford 3000,case SI..Just purchased a 404 Futon (40 hp 4wd) with a koyker FEL
couldn`t find an appropate place to post this...so here goes.I have a 120 gal compressor with a imglo 2 stage compressor head.It is located in my barn...not the dryest or warmest place.problem is i keep getting water in the compressor oil.change oil,flush ,change oil...ect.within 2 days of use the compressor oil turns milky.Tried running the intake outside..no good.up stairs in the loft...notta.replaced the line between the heads with a finned line..still the same.placed a vent on the compressor oil fill hole..still getting water in??? HELP at witts end,plus bearings are getting expensive ..lol.. Sid

/ water in compressor oil #2  
Do you get some vapours coming out of the crancase vent when it is running?

Egon

/ water in compressor oil #3  
Do you drain the water from the tank on a regular basis. If the tank is allowed to accumulate a lot of water it could probably find it's way into the pump.

/ water in compressor oil #4  
Where are you located geographicly?
Condensation should not be getting into the compressor crankcase this quickly. Is your crankcase sealed, or vented?

/ water in compressor oil
My thanks to all who took their time and effort on this post.I live in oHIo.I drain my tank aprox..1 or 2 times a month.There is not a lot of moisture in the tank its self.No,I don`t really knotice any vapors comeing from the crank case.The crank case used to be sealed...ie 1/4" pipe plug.I removed the plug and adapted a vent as perscribed by a gentleman who worked with air brakes and compressors.I think if the compressor bearings go out again I will purchase a upright 6hp and use the old tank as an additional air storage...I kinda give up on this...thanks again,Sid

/ water in compressor oil #6  
Sid, since you say it's in a barn, does the barn have an ammonia atmousphere, like from urine?
How old is the Emglo?
Off the top of my head, I have a hunch you have a ring problem in the compressor. Did you notice the length of time it takes to build a tank of air getting longer?
A quick & dirty test for the ring problem would be to connect the discharge line from the compressor to the tank to a source of compressed air, and see if air flows out of the oil fill plug.

/ water in compressor oil #7  
That sounds like a good idea, Franz; just want to be sure to connect to the compressor on the compressor side of the check valve instead of the tank side.

/ water in compressor oil #8  
Yea Bird, I probably should have said discharge port from the compressor. If the compressor valves are functioning properly, this testing method would leave a bit to be desired too.
An even better method would be to introduce the compressed air at the intercooler loop connection of the hi pressure cylinder and the air intake connection on the lo pressure cylinder.
I guess the old remote location problem visualizer system wasn't at 100% last night.