5610s Fire, any suggestions

/ 5610s Fire, any suggestions #1  

rwk5412

Tractor
2003 New Holland 5610s
We have a 2003 5610s with about 1500 hours on it and it has been very well maintained. It was involved in a fire yesterday but I don't think it was THAT bad. Basically, the everything forward of the radiator was damaged, the battery melted, the wiring is shot, and most of the other damage is on the "driver" side, paint, alternator, hydraulic cylinder seals blown.

Most of if not all of the hoses on the engine are still intact and all of the parts on the right side of the engine seem to be ok (other than wiring and battery). So, I assume in these cases you basically just replace all the parts and assume they were damaged by the heat, but what about the motor? The fire really wasn't that bad and it was mostly on the nose of the tractor, didn't even melt the radiator.

I will see if I can post some pictures in here when I get them off the camera.

/ 5610s Fire, any suggestions #2  
We have a 2003 5610s with about 1500 hours on it and it has been very well maintained. It was involved in a fire yesterday but I don't think it was THAT bad. Basically, the everything forward of the radiator was damaged, the battery melted, the wiring is shot, and most of the other damage is on the "driver" side, paint, alternator, hydraulic cylinder seals blown.

Most of if not all of the hoses on the engine are still intact and all of the parts on the right side of the engine seem to be ok (other than wiring and battery). So, I assume in these cases you basically just replace all the parts and assume they were damaged by the heat, but what about the motor? The fire really wasn't that bad and it was mostly on the nose of the tractor, didn't even melt the radiator.

I will see if I can post some pictures in here when I get them off the camera.

I doubt it got hot enough to do any damage to the engine. When you get it back together, check for leaks on the gaskets at the valve cover, water pump, etc. Sometimes enough heat can blister them if there the rubber type. Also, check the air filter for heat damage. Otherwise, it sounds like just a remove and repair what got burned.

/ 5610s Fire, any suggestions
I doubt it got hot enough to do any damage to the engine. When you get it back together, check for leaks on the gaskets at the valve cover, water pump, etc. Sometimes enough heat can blister them if there the rubber type. Also, check the air filter for heat damage. Otherwise, it sounds like just a remove and repair what got burned.

The air filter is on the nose of the tractor under a fiberglass flip up hood (which was mostly burned up).

The one thing I could think of being a problem is the Fire Dept did come in to help put out the fire and they spray the tractor down a little, so I am hoping none of the spray got into the engine of the tractor through the breather.

/ 5610s Fire, any suggestions #4  
The air filter is on the nose of the tractor under a fiberglass flip up hood (which was mostly burned up).

The one thing I could think of being a problem is the Fire Dept did come in to help put out the fire and they spray the tractor down a little, so I am hoping none of the spray got into the engine of the tractor through the breather.

When you get all of the pieces off the intake, look it over to see if it looks like water got inside the intake. Probably not and if a little spray got in, it will likely evaporate by the time you get around to firing it back up. If it has a compression release, operate it for a few revolutions to get out any moisture. If not, the only way to be sure would be to pull the injectors and crank it. That's something you will just have to make a decision on by the way it looks.

/ 5610s Fire, any suggestions #5  
can't remember if the 5610s has a turbo.. but if it did.. check it out.. otherwise if rad and rad hose did not melt.. I thinkt the engine is fine.. and ip is on the right side so that is good.

I'd repalce anything visibly warped / damaged, melted or leaking.

soundguy

can't remember if the 5610s has a turbo.. but if it did.. check it out.. otherwise if rad and rad hose did not melt.. I thinkt the engine is fine.. and ip is on the right side so that is good.

I'd repalce anything visibly warped / damaged, melted or leaking.

soundguy

Nope, no turbo. It happened on Sunday, and I am going back to the ranch this Saturday to get it out of the field. Until then, the tractor will be tarped in case of rain. Once I get it out of the field, I will start to remove the damaged parts and inspect the wiring (which is shot).

I will also take some detailed pictures and post them for everyone to see.

Any other suggestions?

/ 5610s Fire, any suggestions #7  
It sounds like a replace the obvious damage and fire it up. If all the fluids are still up it wasn't hurt. It might be a good idea how ever to do a complete oil change, oil filter, and fuel filter.

It sounds like a replace the obvious damage and fire it up. If all the fluids are still up it wasn't hurt. It might be a good idea how ever to do a complete oil change, oil filter, and fuel filter.

Quick question, any idea where I can find repair manuals that have engine and wiring info in them? Most of the wiring harness was melted when the battery caught on fire.

Here are the images I have.

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

And then some shots of the burned area.... :mur:

weskurtz0081

weskurtz0081

weskurtz0081

I know the photos aren't the best, but I just can't imagine it got hot enough to do major internal damage. Most of the fire was up high or on the tires (which is where all the black stuff came from). The other part of the fire was IN FRONT of the radiator.

So, thoughts?

/ 5610s Fire, any suggestions #9  
too bad you didn't have a fire extinguisher on the rops. I always carry one for just such an emergency..

good luck with it.

soundguy

/ 5610s Fire, any suggestions #10  
Was the engine running when the fire started? And if so, how long after the fire started did the engine get shut off?

I only ask as to a few things... One is sucking in junk into the engine, the other is sucking in water to the engine. Finally did the radiator spew its contents and the engine not get proper cooling while running?

As a side note I would drain all the fluids (Diesel and all oils) and replace. Fire hoses dump a lot of water quickly.

It should be insured, though, right?

Carl