RPM gage not working

/ RPM gage not working #1  

rhclapper63

Tractor
John Deer, 4110, Farmall "M" Farmall "H"
I am a new member, and so, if I am not posting in the "correct" forum, please forgive me. My name is Randy, I live in West Michigan. I am the proud new owner of a 1945 Farmall H, and 1947 Farmall M, both of which need a little tweeking here and there, but today, my question is for my John Deer. I am pretty sure it is a 2003, 4110, I beleive a 23 horse,, the RPM gage stop working day before yesterday when I was plowing snow. I am wondering what I could check to see why it may have stopped. Any ideas would be greatly apprecitated.

/ RPM gage not working #3  
you could check the tachs cable/wiring to see if it worked its way lose.or the tach couldve just quit working.

/ RPM gage not working
I will check some things either today after work or tomorrow thanks,,,
have another question, although unrelated.. what does the "silver" or "bronze" signafy for membership status?
what does "Bronze memember" or the like mean?

/ RPM gage not working #5  
Most likely your tach is driven by a signal from the alternator rather than a mechanical cable. Check the back side of the alternator to see if all connectors are tight. You might uplug and replug the connectors and look for dirty or corroded connections. I'm not talking about the main power connection on the back of the alternator that is normally held on with a nut. I'm talking about a plug-in plastic connector with prongs that might be corroded. Since your tach is probably electronic, a check of all your fuses would be a good thing to do also.

The metallic titles and other classifications relate to how many posts you have on TBN. The more you post, the higher the classification, except in my case where I post so much the administrator will probably give me a classification of "Rusty Scrap Metal." ;):laughing:

/ RPM gage not working #6  
Most likely your tach is driven by a signal from the alternator rather than a mechanical cable. Check the back side of the alternator to see if all connectors are tight. You might uplug and replug the connectors and look for dirty or corroded connections. I'm not talking about the main power connection on the back of the alternator that is normally held on with a nut. I'm talking about a plug-in plastic connector with prongs that might be corroded. Since your tach is probably electronic, a check of all your fuses would be a good thing to do also.

The metallic titles and other classifications relate to how many posts you have on TBN. The more you post, the higher the classification, except in my case where I post so much the administrator will probably give me a classification of "Rusty Scrap Metal." ;):laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ RPM gage not working #7  
According to deere's website, it is a cable driven tach. So more than likely the cable broke. Also, if the tach doesn't work, it means the hour meter doesnt work either.

My tach cable broke on my kubota @ 0.3 hours. Replaced under warrenty of course, but a tach cable shouldn't be too expensive.

Heres a link for you. Part #10

John Deere - Parts Catalog

/ RPM gage not working #8  
looks like you got some good answers to your problem and for the bronze it is your status of when you join it will keep moving up as you stay on the site:thumbsup: