Replacing the fuel filter

/ Replacing the fuel filter #1  

dlabrie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I need to replace the fuel filter in my B2910. It looks pretty simple, unscrew the bowl, replace filter, screw on bowl. However, I am sure there must be more than that. Do I need to empty the tank or clamp the fuel line? Will I have to bleed the system afterwards? Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,

/ Replacing the fuel filter #2  
Dlabrie:
I'm not a bota person but there should be a fuel cut-off lever close to your fuel filter, mine on my Yanmar is right on top of the mount that you screw and unscrew the fuel filter bowl. and make sure you don't tip the little spring in the bottom of the bowl when replacing the filter

Whiskey

/ Replacing the fuel filter #3  
Very simple, but have a clamp handy just in case. My cutout didn't work, and when I posted that issue there were several "Me too" responses. I also washed out the bowl with kero. Not sure about the 2910, but I had to bleed my L3010 afterwards. Nothing to it; your owner's manual describes the procedure very well.

Pete

/ Replacing the fuel filter #4  
If you don't have a fuel shutoff valve you will need to plug or clamp the line. After replacing the filter if you either refill the sediment bowl with fuel or leave it loose until it refills, you should not have to bleed the lines.

/ Replacing the fuel filter #5  
The little fuel shut off lever worked just fine on both my B7100 and B2710 (both used the same fuel filter). There was a bleeding procedure for the B7100, but it was not necessary on the B2710. And you don't actually unscrew the bowl; instead of turning the bowl, you turn the collar or ring (for lack of a better word) at the top of the bowl. Have a pan or bucket under it because you'll undoubtedly spill at least a little fuel. The o-ring type gasket is reusable; just don't lose it (it'll very likely stay in place anyway).

/ Replacing the fuel filter #6  
HI,

I think there is a note in the operators manual for the B2910 that the fuel tank must be almost empty to ensure that nothing will leak out when the filter is removed. Something about a return line or something... I don't have the manual handy.

It might say the tank must be less than 1/3 full, or something like that...

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Replacing the fuel filter #7  
That may be right, Bill, but I thought it was the same as the B2710 and I could change mine with a full fuel tank with no leakage.

/ Replacing the fuel filter #8  
Bird,

I only know what my manual says, as I have not changed mine yet. Or better said, I only know what I think I remember reading in the manual /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

I do remember that the mechanic told me that the older models had a shut off valve, but the newer ones don't have a seperate shut off, and that when the fuel bowl is taken off the fuel flow should stop...

Guess I will find out when I get to the fuel filter change point. At the moment the tractor is only starting into its forth month and 127th hour! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Bill

/ Replacing the fuel filter #9  
The manual for my B7500 says that the fuel tank needs to be 1/2 full or less. When I did my 50 hour I slowly unscrewed the filter and fuel began to go everywhere so I screwed it back on. Realizing that I had to change it I just unscrewed it as quick as I could the next time and low and behold the fuel flow stops once the filter is removed completely. I have no idea how it does this but it does. First time fluid changes can sure create a mess until you figure out a good procedure. I just hope I don't forget it all for the next service interval!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ Replacing the fuel filter
Thanks everyone for the info. I guess I'll look for a shut off, If there isn't one, I'll wait until the tank is half full and give it a shot. I'll let you know what happens when i do it.