Broke lift rod

/ Broke lift rod #11  
I never adjust the lift rod anyhow. I've never had to for any of my implements.

The lift rod is handy for 2 main reasons.

1. when hooking up an implement. Hook the other side first. And then hook the adjustable side. If the ground is a little uneven, it is a huge help.

2. When using a backblade and trying to create a bit of a grade or ditch. You can adjust that link to get one side to dig more than the other.

/ Broke lift rod
Great tips, I'm a bit of a newb. That is what makes it a little bit easier hooking up implements. I've just never fooled with it , always just wrestled whatever I was hooking up. Dumb on my part.

/ Broke lift rod #13  
what have you got to loose. it's either ruined beyond use thus replaceable.. or it's fixable.. if it truly is ruined.. you loose nothing but a lil time and a couple welding rods and some electricity in trying... that's a no loose situation...

soundguy

:thumbsup::thumbsup::D well said

/ Broke lift rod #14  
Great tips, I'm a bit of a newb. That is what makes it a little bit easier hooking up implements. I've just never fooled with it , always just wrestled whatever I was hooking up. Dumb on my part.
who has the time to play ;) just pull it in hook it up :thumbsup:

/ Broke lift rod #15  
if you know how to weld --weld it if you take it to a welding shop go buy a new one the cost would be close to haft the price of new :thumbsup: but use 7018 if you weld it works good on hared metal and some cast :cool: I know your not much of a welder or you just wanted to see what every one had to say :D me it would have been welded and back on before i had time to wright all this down :thumbsup: yes i wright with one finger weld with two hands :thumbsup::cool:

/ Broke lift rod
I'm not much of a welder I have a brand new 220 Hobart stick welder sitting in my shop I've used like 2 times. I need some scrap stuff to start making stuff.

/ Broke lift rod #17  
220a stick welder will make short work of that repair. just grind on it a bit, protect the threads and lok er in a vice and start burning rods...

soundguy

/ Broke lift rod #18  
Mine (L3400) broke in a different spot.
BrokenlinkA.jpg

I welded it, but it broke again, so I cut if off where yours is broken & then welded an entire bolt (head against the pad on the fork) which has held for some time now.

I was lucky in that the bottom (broken part) threaded section was right hand thread, as it made the bolt easier to find. Not sure if your fork is offset the way mine is but you might check. Thought I'm mention it just in case.

/ Broke lift rod #19  
I'm not much of a welder I have a brand new 220 Hobart stick welder sitting in my shop I've used like 2 times. I need some scrap stuff to start making stuff.
It should be straightened and can be welded successfully. You use nuts to protect the threads while straightening. Your welding knowledge and skilll is another matter. If you are a prodigy go for it. If not buy.
larry

/ Broke lift rod #20  
It should be straightened and can be welded successfully. You use nuts to protect the threads while straightening. Your welding knowledge and skilll is another matter. If you are a prodigy go for it. If not buy.
larry

or if you want to learn.. go for it, knowing you may be buying later.. or buy and repair and keep the new one on the shelf or in the tool box for when / if needed.

i've fixed many an adjustable lift arm. many times I just transplanted a new section of thread onto a forked base. so far it's always been the 'correct' thread driection that broke, :) not like on some turn buckles... etc..

soundguy