How to pop out frost plug ?

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #21  
I thought about doing it with a slide hammer but was afraid the plug was a little too thin hold the hammer threaded head. After pulling it out I noticed it's a little thicker than I thought, so you'll probably be OK. If not, you'll just have to knock it loose first and then use the slide hammer. Attached is mine after installation.

Attachments

• 48-215906-MVC-662F.JPG
    48-215906-MVC-662F.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 162
   / How to pop out frost plug ?
You are exactlly right, I drilled 2 holes across from each other thought I would use slide hammer back & forth between the 2 and wiggle it out. No go, like you said, to thin wouldn't hold the thread, just pulled thru. Used hammer and big screw driver like instructions said, came right out. Don't second guess instructions I guess.

All & all, a very easy install.

later

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #23  
djradz ,

My heater just came in from order. My dealer indicated that it might be a good idea to drain the raditor before hand. To reduce the coolant that might escape from the block after the freeze plug is removed. Did you do this ?? Your block looks pretty clean :) Also , is that another plug just to the left of the one you popped out ?? If so , how did you know which one to to use for the heater.

Mark

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #24  
Yes, you'll definetly want to drain the fluid. The hole/plug is half way down on the block and you'd get quite a blast of fluid otherwise. Guess I forgot to mention that step!!! My fluid needed a change anyway.

I kinda guessed at which plug to pull. The instructions from NH did not mention my tractor and the directions for the other tractors varied from the front most to rearmost plug. I had three plugs on that side so I chose the middle plug since I figured I'd get the best heat dissapation there. I really don't think it matters much as the area of the block behind the plug looks pretty much the same. If it had been really hard to get at the middle plug, I'd probably just have switched to another one. Good luck.

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #25  
Attached is a pic of the Block Heater I ordered from JD. It has a threaded end that threads into the block. Does this look right ??

For those of you who have popped out the plug is the inside also threaded ??? And which one of the plugs do you pop out. My Yanmar on my 4110 seems to have 2 plugs near the starter on the left hand side of the motor as viewed from sitting in the seat.

Mark

Attachments

• 48-216603-PC120002.JPG
    48-216603-PC120002.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 166
   / How to pop out frost plug ? #26  
JD must be different. I think if I were you I'd call the dearler service manager or stop by to discuss. Not clear to me if you are going to "pop" out the plug that there is threads there to use in the block. Neither my Ford 1720 of NH TC40D had threads.

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #27  
Folks ,

Thought I would give everyone some info as to the hard time I am have installing a block heater. As described in my earlier thread , I purchased a block heater from my JD Dealer for my 4110. It has a different install method however the idea of heating is the same. (see pic). After looking at my block and noticing the freeze plugs being the same as others on this thread , I got concerned that my the heater I purchased and the pics of the ones others have done were very different. One has threads and the other had a clamp like system similar to a toggle bolt. I then called my JD Dealer from whom I bought the heater. They advised that I also needed an adapter kit that fits in the freeze plug hole and then will except the thread in heater they sold me. Know I am starting to get a bit angry because not only did they not sell me all the parts I needed , they also told me that the freeze plug to use was on the left hand side of the motor just to the right of the starter. There are 2 plugs here however the adapter kit that is needed will only work on the 1 plug on the OPPOSITE side of the motor that has 2 screw in holes for attaching the adapter. Good thing I checked before starting any of this. Cost so far is $50 for the heater. If I want to install it I need to buy the adapter for another $42. Making the total just under $100. Or the dealer suggest the lower radiator hose method with costs about $20 , however is not as effective as the block type.

I called all my local NAPA stores to try and find the type of heater that others have used here , however no luck.

I did ask the dealer about the suggested method of removing the plug. They indicated that you should carefully try and pry up the bottom of the plug so that you can get a pair on needle noses on it and pull it out.

I am thinking of going the with the block type however the side of the motor I need to access is hard to get to. Lot more that the starter side.

ARGH

Mark

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #28  
Seems kind of pricy. I got mine installed when I got the tractor (Kubota) and installed the whole thing was only $50.

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #29  
Mark, the NH heater cost $20 and includes all mounting hardware. The design does require that there be a good fit in the hole as it has an o-ring seal. I'll measure the freeze plug hole diameter this weekend and let you know what it is. If you're not close to a NH dealer, most will mail you the part if you give them a charge card #. Don't feel too bad about using a NH part, I had to resort to a JD cupholder on my 40D as the NH one is pretty useless. The plug removal method your dealer discusses wouldn't work very well on the NH. You'd really run the risk of messing up the very surface of the hole where you need to seal the heater against. As you can see from my previous pic, the plug I didn't touch would be tough to get out by only working on the edge.

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #30  
Thanks for all the help...

Attached is a pic of my block (starter side) , Do you really think that the NH part will fit my JD Block. Looks like the plugs are the same size ???? There is a NH dealer near by , do you have the part # by chance.

Thanks again for the help and bailing me out :)

Mark