Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How to pop out frost plug ?

Hi all,
    Been lurking in the backround for a while and have learned a lot. Now for the question, I want to install a block heater and would like to find out the best way to pop out the pressed in frost plug ??

thanks,
    Rocko

Tractor
    all makes and models

Default Re: How to pop out frost plug ?

I've used screwdrivers, chisels or anything to get it to twist sideways to grab a hold of it. To install I prefer a seal tool or even a socket that fits tight.

I drill a hole in it , put a self tapping screw and use a slide hammer to pull the screw/plug out. I also use a socket to install the plugs.

Ben in KY

Just a tip, however you decide to remove the plug. Keep in mind the expensive stuff that is located behind the plug......

you are so right Kubmech. I neglected to mention... just barely drill thru the plug, and when you have the plug out use a magnet to pick up any metal filings that may have fallen inside of the opening.

Ben in KY

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Might use a magnet on the side of the plug to catch the filings as they fall..... should also keep the filings on the rear captive as well.... especially if it a rare earth magnet.

Soundguy

Elite Member

Personally, I would be reluctant to mess with a perfectly good freeze plug and opt for a lower hose heater instead.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Just did one last night. First I drilled a small hole in it and then screwed in a drywall-type screw. I did this to help in pulling the plug out and just in case the plug were to fall in. Then I took a hammer and chisel and tapped on the plug to loosen it up. Next I tapped with a screwdriver and hammer on the plug in an area away from the screw until that side of the plug pushed way in to the block. Last, I used a large pliers to pull the plug out. All in all, I think it took about 10 minutes and it was out.

Good job. Does your heater fit in the freeze plug hole ? I have always used one that fits in a hose.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

I bought it from the NH dealer and it fits perfectly in the freeze plug hole. Cost was somewhere between $10 and 20, but that was almost 2 years ago when I picked it up, so I'm not sure. I've been waiting to change the fluid and install it at the same time, so that's where I am now.

There's an O-ring for sealing and a retaining wing that spreads out something like those drywall picture hangers on the back of the heater plug. You tighten a bolt to firmly seal it in place. I think it's a pretty standard design although this one was a NH part. If I recall it was something like 400 watts. If I can remember I'll try to get a few pictures in the next day or so.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast