How to pop out frost plug ?

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi all,
Been lurking in the backround for a while and have learned a lot. Now for the question, I want to install a block heater and would like to find out the best way to pop out the pressed in frost plug ??

thanks,
Rocko

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #2  
I've used screwdrivers, chisels or anything to get it to twist sideways to grab a hold of it. To install I prefer a seal tool or even a socket that fits tight.

/ How to pop out frost plug ?
I drill a hole in it , put a self tapping screw and use a slide hammer to pull the screw/plug out. I also use a socket to install the plugs.

Ben in KY

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #4  
Just a tip, however you decide to remove the plug. Keep in mind the expensive stuff that is located behind the plug......

you are so right Kubmech. I neglected to mention... just barely drill thru the plug, and when you have the plug out use a magnet to pick up any metal filings that may have fallen inside of the opening.

Ben in KY

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #6  
Might use a magnet on the side of the plug to catch the filings as they fall..... should also keep the filings on the rear captive as well.... especially if it a rare earth magnet.

Soundguy

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #7  
Personally, I would be reluctant to mess with a perfectly good freeze plug and opt for a lower hose heater instead.

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #8  
Just did one last night. First I drilled a small hole in it and then screwed in a drywall-type screw. I did this to help in pulling the plug out and just in case the plug were to fall in. Then I took a hammer and chisel and tapped on the plug to loosen it up. Next I tapped with a screwdriver and hammer on the plug in an area away from the screw until that side of the plug pushed way in to the block. Last, I used a large pliers to pull the plug out. All in all, I think it took about 10 minutes and it was out.

Good job. Does your heater fit in the freeze plug hole ? I have always used one that fits in a hose.

/ How to pop out frost plug ? #10  
I bought it from the NH dealer and it fits perfectly in the freeze plug hole. Cost was somewhere between $10 and 20, but that was almost 2 years ago when I picked it up, so I'm not sure. I've been waiting to change the fluid and install it at the same time, so that's where I am now.

There's an O-ring for sealing and a retaining wing that spreads out something like those drywall picture hangers on the back of the heater plug. You tighten a bolt to firmly seal it in place. I think it's a pretty standard design although this one was a NH part. If I recall it was something like 400 watts. If I can remember I'll try to get a few pictures in the next day or so.