Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries)

/ Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries) #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Long story short, Dad bought a Ford 4500 backhoe. Can be seen here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/construction-equipment/192608-wtb-older-farm-hoe-need.html

It needs a battery.

Current battery that is in it is a BIG battery. About 3x's the size of a standard auto battery. Just guessing but it is about 20-22" long, 8" wide, and about 8" tall.

Now I cant seem to remember, and the amperage specs aren't on TSC's website, but If I rember correctly, last time I was looking at batteries at TSC, these big ole batteries always seemed to be expensive per CCA. The Big heavy duty farm batteries didn't seem to be that high of an amperage for its relative size compared to an auto battery.

For example, Last battery I bought for my truck was $79.99 and was 1000ca and like 850CCA. Traveller 12 Volt Auto Battery, 850 CCA/1000 CA/120 min RC - 0472590 | Tractor Supply Company And I could easily fit 2 or 3 of these in the space one of them big batteries takes up. And it seems the big batteries are usually no more CCA than one of these smaller batteries.

Heavy-Duty Farm Battery, F4DLT - 0470742 | Tractor Supply Company This battery is one similar to what is on the tractor now. Googling the #, I am comming up with ~ 950CCA

So what is the major difference that makes this battery so much bigger and more $$$? What am I missing? If I throw in the smaller $79.99 battery, is it going to work?? Or would a pair of smaller 525CCA/630CA batteries Traveller Advantage 12 Volt Auto Battery, 525 CCA/630 CA/90 min RC - 2151085 | Tractor Supply Company actually give more starting power than the one giant battery??

/ Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries) #2  
It's probably an 8D truck battery. Heavy construction, heavy plates, etc.. lots of reserve, and usually about 1200CCA.

/ Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries) #4  
I sell Interstate batteries at my store . Probably need a 4DLT (850 cca ). This battery is used a lot in Ford tractors according to catalog , oem says machine needs 750cca . Hope this helps .

/ Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries) #5  
The price of anything is partly due to the turnover rate - that is how many they sell. It might be cheaper to install two or three popular batteries and just connect them in parallel with heavy cables.

/ Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries)
So instead of running two ~600 or so amp batteries in parallel, you guys are suggesting the expensive 4d battery?

Wiring up two batteries would be no big deal. We have pleanty of spare cable and connectors. And I have run dual batteries before in an older plow truck.

Not to mention, modern diesel trucks have duals, as well as out JD2040 has two smaller 500-600 amp batteries.

It is just kinda baffling why sch a large battery has such a low CCA. Would really like all the amps we can get. And the 4d just doesn't seem like the best way to fill the space. Not to mention it is an older diesel with no heater or glow plugs. So sometimes they are hard to start.

/ Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries) #8  
The 4D and 8D are designed to absorb a lot of abuse, from vibration and shock. I would not go with a light case auto battery in a back hoe, but you could substitute an AGM battery. You won't save a lot of money going this way though. Brand names to search for are Optima, Concorde, and Odyysey.

/ Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries) #9  
Another thought along with it being a brute force starting battery is that it is part of the ballast for weight on your machine?

/ Lets talk BATTERIES (12v starter batteries)
Another thought along with it being a brute force starting battery is that it is part of the ballast for weight on your machine?

A few pounds difference in battery mounted above the engine is not going to make a lick of difference on a 10,000lb machine