A/C on Kubota L4610HSTC

/ A/C on Kubota L4610HSTC #1  

patrickg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4610HSTC
I have never been really happy with my A/C and have complained to the dealer many times. Now I know where all the screens and filters are that can reduce refrigeration effect. Still, I don't get enough cooling and it squeaks a lot at idle and sometime squalls loudly for long periods except at higher RPM and after an hour or two the A/C looses effectivity and you are better off opening the doors and windows. The tractor is at the dealer now awaiting parts (A/C belt which they do not stock).

Anyone else with a L4610HSTC have A/C problems?

A while back I commented on needing a governor for my L4610 only to find out it has one but it is nearly worthless on this model. Hopefully the A/C is not another noted feature of this model and instead it can be fixed.

I realize that A/C isn't a problem for most of us right now but with a GreenHouse of a cab, even on cold days a bright sun will warm you up beyond comfort especially if you dress for moderate comfort while outside.

Pat

/ A/C on Kubota L4610HSTC #2  
Pat, sounds like all of your A/C problems may have been caused by a loose A/C-fan belt. With a loose belt, neither the compressor nor the cooling fan run up to speed, resulting in poor cooling, plus all the squealing. Hopefully it will be easy to fix.

/ A/C on Kubota L4610HSTC
Norm, I hope the belt was the problem. It was stretched so far it couldn't be tightened. I am skeptical but hopeful that the A/C is adequate next summer. I had cleaned the pulleys with brake cleaner and applied belt dressing and the Kubota tech/mech tightened it but didn't want to over tighten it earlier this year. Maybe it was a defective belt.

Pat

/ A/C on Kubota L4610HSTC #4  
What's the outside temp where the AC stops being able to keep up? I'm in a much cooler climate than you, but it does still get hot.

I've got designs on a 4610HSTC, now evolved to a 5030HSTC, but am very concerned over many of the same things you are finding to be problems. Wheel weighting, lame AC, lame governor, and the biggest of all - no reasonable backhoe solution.

Hayden, The A/C problem has evolved (mutated?) over time. I was part of the problem, not cleaning the screens often enough. There are two in front of the radiator. One for the radiator and one for the A/C condensor. I had not been aware of the one in front of the condensor (my fault, it is in the book). There is an air filter at the top rear of the cab that needs to be kept clear. I don't know if my A/C is fixed or not as it is hard to put a heavy load on it when ambient temps are so cool. It might be.

The A/C belt was stretched beyond where it could be tightened and may have been defective. At first the A/C worked good untill you had been running the tractor a few hours and performance would drop. It would squeal at idle in a random way but quit at mid range or higher RPM. Later it got to where it failed sooner and sooner and would intermittently squeal at working RPM. As the tractor was under waranty and the tech had been reticent to "overtighten" the belt for fear of doing bearing damage, I DID NOT tighten it any myself. I did clean the pulley and belt with brake cleaner and apply belt dressing after clearing it with the tech. Seemed to help for a few days.

In retrospect as I think back over the progress of the problem, it is consistent with continuing deterioration of the belt (stretching). I think the cab air gets heated just a bit when the temp control lever is all the way to the cool end and the A/C is on FAN only. The tech pulled the top off the cab and checked the controls and said that the heater core water supply valve was going full closed and was adjusted correctly. If the heat never turned completely off then that would contribute to apparent reduced A/C function. I'm not so sure it turns off completely and will put a thermometer to it and see what the temp of the air is coming out of the vents with A/C off and fan only. It shouldn't be too much higher than ambient outdoor temp. If it is then maybe the valve is defective or just a bad design.

If you like the tractor, don't let lack of liquid fill disuade you. I'm getting along with the so so governor. The backhoe deal was a dissapointment. There are good aftermarket backhoe solutions WITH SUBSTANTIAL SUBFRAME that are acceptable. I would avoid 3PH backhoes. I may opt for a separate backhoe like a Cad Digger or whatever the spelling is, the DIY self contained backhoe or get a name brand subframe mounted unit.

A while back kubota dealer said there was a backhoe coming out with extended subframe that would clear the L4610HSTC's cab.

Maybe it was only a rumor but I was told that the 50-- series was a less frills lower cost (maybe not so robust) line. There is an awful lot which is right and good with my tractor and I am not the easiest customer to please. If my A/C IS fixed I'll be OK with it. The cab is a regular "green house" and when other folks are first bundling up to ride a tractor in the cold, I'm runing my A/C to avoid overheating.

The cab and heater are great when it is cold, nasty, and mixed snow/rain is falliing. Neighbors are changing clothes twice a day to keep from freezing while feeding cattle and I'm toast with a smile on it. Now that I have a hay spear for the FEL (pallet forks are dangerous round bale handlers!) it will be a BIG smile.

With nearly 300 hours of total tractor time on this, my first tractor, I can say that I'm glad I got what I got. It is a great fit for my needs and although I would have liked to be able to fit a Kubota backhoe, I think having a cab is worth the small loss. I can fit a subframe mounted backhoe that is sized for my size tractor if I just get off my duff and do it. I decided I didn't want liquid fill even if I could use it so that isn't an issue anymore. Tire shops around here won't take a tire with fill in it as it is considered hazardous waste. I may opt for foam fill and never have another flat.

Hayden, I didn't forget your temp where it fails question but it wasn't that simple since the problem was mutating as it went. If it was a belt as we now suspect, then there shouldn't be a problem. Before it got so bad I was comfortable with outside air temps over 100 F and high humidity (over 90%RH). When working anywhere near normal, the A/C made inside temps and humidity much better than outside.

I'll report any new developments on the A/C.

Patrick

/ A/C on Kubota L4610HSTC #6  
Thanks for all the details.

What Backhoe do you think is the best fit?

Hayden, Warning! Danger! Danger! Danger!

I have never fitted a backhoe to a tractor nor operated a backhoe BUT...

My research found and did not eliminate WoodsGroundBreakers and Bradco. Sorry, if I have slighted anyones favorite cow.

The Woods model was the 7500 which digs 90 inches deep, swings 180 degrees, weighs 1000 lbs and is suitable for 20-40 HP with 540 RPM PTO. It has buckets from 12 inch to 24 inch. It is "3PH mounted but you add a subframe on the Kubota. When I priced them it was $6406 at a local dealer but that DOES NOT include the required subframe which is not in my notes but I think it was about $1200 but I'm not sure.

I have the brochures for several Bradco but not my notes so I can't say much about them. Considerations include: 1. backhoe must not require you to use current tractor seat (180 degree swivel seat) this is a non-starter for a cab tractor, 2. there has to be enough room behind and above the backhoe seat to let the operator's head clear the back of the cab. This second requiremnent elliminated some of the otherwise acceptable units.

I'm sure there are lots of folks out there with much more savy RE backhoes than I have. I got up to speed on "special" requirements for the L4610HSTC like the operator's head clearance and the need for a substantial sub frame but for everything else I am NOT a font of knowledge. As several months have passed, my data may be obsolete. Maybe some of the rumored units have made it to the marketplace. I suggest you talk to some independent dealers who don't have a brand axe to grind.

Best of luck, hope there is room under your tree for a new tractor.

Pat

/ A/C on Kubota L4610HSTC #8  
I had a 7500 Woods on an L2900 w/ subframe and
pto kit and 2 buckets ($5500)not installed.
After using it some, IMO I would rather had the
9000 instead.
W/ your size tractor the 9000 or 1050 would be
a better choice.
The subframe on the 7500 set the hoe back too
much for me but w/ cab it could be ok.
W/ your tractor I would run tractor hyd. not
pto kit.

Hoeman, Thanks for the advice. Hayden and I can use your experience. Why would you favor using the tractor hydraulics versus a PTO driven pump for the larger Woods? What is the gal/min required for proper operation of the 9000?

Pat

/ A/C on Kubota L4610HSTC #10  
patrickg
The woods 9000 groundbreaker backhoe requires 9-12 GPM. the L4610 flows a total of 14.4 GPM, with 9.6 GPM available to the remote/3 pt. hitch and 4.8 GPM for the power steering. Hope this helps.
Lewis