Filter cross reference.

/ Filter cross reference. #1  

davygp38

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
Since I am on call today, I took the time to cross reference the engine oil, and hydraulic filters on my Kubota L4400. It only took me 20 minutes, and now that I know what to do It should take you all a Little less time. I took the part numbers for the OEM filters off the receipt for the ones I bought from the dealer, and started hitting filter sites. The engine oil filter was easy,I found one from Fram right off the bat. I don't use Fram filters, if I can avoid it, but I had to use the fram part number to find the purolator part number (the kubota number would not come up.) The cost savings for this filter was not that great Kubota $10.79, Purolator $9.99, however the dealer is 40 miles from here, and I can now get one locally.
The hydro filter was harder to find, but I was able to get it off the Wix site, and from there I could cross reference it to a NAPA filter. The Savings is remarkable. Kubota Hydraulic filter $41.17, Wix/Napa filter $19.99. I know some of you out there feel strongly about only using OEM parts, and filters. My hats off to you, and I am sure Kubota loves you. However I feel I can use these filters, and I always change the fluids, and filters sooner than required. I hope this was a help to some of you. it is at any rate an option.:thumbsup:

/ Filter cross reference. #3  
Everyone has to do what they see as right.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using quality filters from Wix, Hastings/Baldwin or FleetGuard.

The problem I have is that, in many cases, no true cross or true replacement exists. Once one gets into crossing to a cross to a cross, my enthusiasm wanes considerably.

While I don't worry much about a hydraulic filter or engine oil filter, I have found much more difficulty in using anything other than an OEM when it comes to the Hydro Trans filter. Internal magnets? Those seem to be very specialized and seldom are there true replacement filters available.

/ Filter cross reference. #4  
I like matching filters for myself but for my business I appreciate those who buy off make filters. Right now we are working on a machine that the owner couldn't believe that we wanted to change out the oil and filters before we went any further with trying to find the problems with sticking valves and erratic operation of the hydro's.

funny thing that his 50 micron paper filters didn't do well enough when replacing 100 micron! Oh well, his initial savings are being eaten up a bit at this point at 2600 hours.

/ Filter cross reference. #5  
I like matching filters for myself but for my business I appreciate those who buy off make filters. Right now we are working on a machine that the owner couldn't believe that we wanted to change out the oil and filters before we went any further with trying to find the problems with sticking valves and erratic operation of the hydro's.

funny thing that his 50 micron paper filters didn't do well enough when replacing 100 micron! Oh well, his initial savings are being eaten up a bit at this point at 2600 hours.

Yep, in troubleshooting situations there is nothing better than well trusted name brand or OEM filters to eliminate potential issues with cheap aftermarket, maybe it will work filters.

Brian

/ Filter cross reference. #6  
I dont use the kubota engine oil filter either.

BUT I do on the hyd. filter.

I did the same thing as you on my first service by trying to cross the filters. NO LUCK at ALL on the hyd. But the dealer is on my way to and from work and they had pleanty in stock. So in a last ditch effort to find one to cross, I went ahead and took the old one off to measure the o-ring diameter and the threads and just go by that. When I did this I noticed the big ring magnet inside the o-ring on the filter. I have never seen any other common hydraulic filter have this. And I was also unsure if their would be room to put the old magnet on a different filter.

I decided it was best to stick with the OEM. Afterall, the hyd. filter service is only every 200hrs, so the cost isnt going to be a big issue for me.

So my question to you would me, does your filter have this magnet??? And if it does, were you able to clean and re-mount it inside you new NON-kubota filter??

/ Filter cross reference. #7  
I attach a magnet to the outside of a lot of my filters, including the oem kubota engine oil filter.. inside the transmission oil pan on cars and trucks. Unless it has an oem in there already.I don't know if your situation would work, as I don't have that type hydro filter.I added a filter and adaptor to my return line from FEl, to"help" my screen clean trans oil. **** maybe, but that oil is clean, to protect cylinders and valves..

/ Filter cross reference. #8  
I did the same thing and changed all my OEM filters to WIX. The Amsoil and WIX sites also both have cross reference tools. FYI the NAPA filters are rebadged WIX as well.

/ Filter cross reference. #9  
When I did this I noticed the big ring magnet inside the o-ring on the filter. I have never seen any other common hydraulic filter have this.

Really? I didn't notice that thing. I just replace the hydro filter on my L4200 a couple of days ago. I did use a Kubota filter though, so I guess I have a magnet in there?

$30 still strikes me as an awful lot for an oil filter though. I did discover that my local dealer's prices are identical to the popular M/O places like messicks and/or tractorsmart, which is surprising, since my general impression of the shop is that they are a bunch o' thieves.

JayC

/ Filter cross reference. #10  
I just ordered about $250 worth of filters (air, oil, fuel transfer, cabin, hydraulic) from

Filter1 Wix heavy duty engine, oil, automotive, truck, and tractor filers.

The site is well designed, easy to use and locate needed filters.
Prices are better than I can get locally.
They have a complete line of filters, I ordered Wix.
Free shipping if you order 6 or more filters or more than $50 worth.

The convenience is worth a lot to me to have all the filters I need delivered. I maintain a tractor, 3 pickups, 3 cars, thus being able to sit down, order replacements and spares all at one time works for me. It's a lot of filters.

There is one hydraulic filter that NOBODY has except Kubota... however, one of the Kubota hydraulic filters they (and others) do have a cross reference for.