Tractor
    New Holland TC 30

Default Rear Blade Swivel Pin Broken

I have broken the 7/8 inch diameter swivel pin on a tilt and swivel mechanism for a Midwest RB22 back blade. Because the broken pin is in a blind hole I'm not sure if this is a simple welding job or something more complicated. I'm not a welder so I'm definitely going to have to take this problem to someone else for help but I'd like to have some suggestions about how to repair this sort of failure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2225b-jpg   -img_2228b-jpg   -img_2229b-jpg  

Tractor
    B7100HST-E

Default Re: Rear Blade Swivel Pin Broken

Hello slowpocono, and welcome to the site. If you can get to the backside of where the pin was welded in, you should be able to take a torch and finish cutting through the hole from the broke side, and then flip over and grind down the weld on the other side and reweld it. If you can"t get to the backside you could have someone bevel the top inside of the hole and the side of the pin at 45 degree angles and reweld it that way. I couldn"t really tell if you can get to the backside from the pics. Hope this helps you. zman

Tractor
    New Holland TC 30

Thanks for the quick response. It is, unfortunately, impossible to get at the back of the broken pin, but your idea suggests that all I really need to do is find a competent welder to do this job. That's encouraging because I'd like to get this blade back in service before it snows again.
    New Holland TC30, 7308 loader, box blade, rake, rotary cutter and back blade.

Tractor
    L2250 Kubota

You might think about getting it beefed up when you are getting it repaired. The metal fatigue suggests that it has been breaking for some time. Take the size up one to what the shop has and it will probably never break again.
    Craig Clayton

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

I'll second the extra welding to beef things up.
    These blades take a lot of abuse plowing snow.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Another angle would be good to have. The third pic you posted was close, but the opposite side to that would be nice to see.

Tractor
    New Holland TC 30

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Canute View Post
    Another angle would be good to have. The third pic you posted was close, but the opposite side to that would be nice to see.
    Great avatar! I loved that movie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2230b-jpg   -img_2231b-jpg  
    New Holland TC30, 7308 loader, box blade, rake, rotary cutter and back blade.

Hmmmm...I'm not positive but it looks like you might have to cut through some of the weld to separate the pieces before you can get to the broken pin.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPocono View Post
    I have broken the 7/8 inch diameter swivel pin on a tilt and swivel mechanism for a Midwest RB22 back blade. Because the broken pin is in a blind hole I'm not sure if this is a simple welding job or something more complicated. I'm not a welder so I'm definitely going to have to take this problem to someone else for help but I'd like to have some suggestions about how to repair this sort of failure.
    From the picture, the "pin" is a grade 2 bolt that is replacing the hardened pin that is supposed to be in there. Drill a hole in the remaining pin, thread it and then put in a bolt and pull it out. Or weld a rod to it and pull it out, but if you go that way and it doesn't work, you are worse off as it will be harder to drill/tap.