Welding on tractor

/ Welding on tractor
I'm trying to figure how the battery figures into it.

/ Welding on tractor #12  
I'm trying to figure how the battery figures into it.

Jake, the negative battery terminal is connected to the tractors frame and so would be the ground clamp of the welder. Any stray current from the welder may pass through the battery and on to the electronics. It would be safest to disconnect both battery terminals and have the welding ground clamp as close to the weld as can be.

/ Welding on tractor #13  
Thatsca good question i cant even for sure answer, i am assuming it hasxsomething to do with the fact the electronics acting as an arc themselves do to the fact they are grounded and energized by the battery, and with the welder you are introducing both alternate power and ground... The weakest link may go first... Aka sensitive electronics. I do know this much, everytime i would recieve an automotive exhuast kit for welding or aftermarket car computers it always said in bold print "dissconnect battery before welding". That being said i never really have and never had a problem but then again my ground clamp was at most 18 inches from my work space.

/ Welding on tractor
I guess if the key was on you could be introducing some strange spikes into the circuits. It's probably just a precaution to disconnect the battery.

/ Welding on tractor #15  
I have personally witnessed a 3500HD computer get fried from the guy welding on it with the battery connected. The boss was pretty ticked when he learned he had to buy a new computer for the truck.

/ Welding on tractor #16  
I spoke with mechanic at my Bobcat dealer. Asked him if he disconnects the battery before welding. (This guy welds a lot). He said never has, never had a known problem. I have welded many things attached to skid steers and tractors and not had an issue. My local welding guy also does a lot or welding on trucks putting in goose neck hitches and does not disconnect the battery. I have come to the conclusion, that my chance of screwing up the battery or terminals is probably greater than a electrical issue caused by welding.

If it were me I would take the time to disconnect the terminals. Maybe even put in a disconnect.These Battery Disconnect Switch
Can be had at walmart for about 4 or 5 bucks..I simply wouldnt take a chance. And also I always like to be able to disconnect a battery in an emergency..(without bolt cutters lol)

/ Welding on tractor #17  
i think anything that has fairly modern electronics/computers *could* be at risk for an issue when welding. i use an "anti-zap" that just clamps to the battery terminals like jumper cables. anything old; i just let her have it.......

/ Welding on tractor #18  
Do disconnect the batt ground before welding on a tractor or veh.
Better to be safe than sorry.
electr do fry in situations.

i've done both with no problems.. though if I remember I do opt to disconnect the bat thus the rest of the electronics.

also to note. don't choose a ground that takes a path thru a bearing, bushing, or ratating pin.. etc..

soundguy

/ Welding on tractor #19  
With our CUT's and simple analog electronics, you'll be fine. Just for safety sake, do as others have suggested, keep the ground clamp close to the work area.
With that being said,... IF you are welding on a more modern computer controlled engine, you should be disconnecting the ECM from the wiring harness.
I have seen COUNTLESS fried ECM's and scrambled software from welding... Sometimes the ECM is ok, just have to re-load all the software and set up the configuration again and do all the calibrations.. Other times, I cannot even communicate with the ECM..
Disconnecting the batteries does nothing but protect the batteries. Stray electrical current from a welding arc can get to an ECM just as easy thru a harness ground.... so unplug your ECM when welding....

/ Welding on tractor #20  
Disconnecting the batteries does nothing but protect the batteries. Stray electrical current from a welding arc can get to an ECM just as easy thru a harness ground.... so unplug your ECM when welding....

100% correct. Although, I don't agree about the risk to the ECU, disconnecting the battery will do nothing to protect it, unless you happen to be welding on the battery.