Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #11  
Do y'all know of any glue or epoxy that would work to SAFELY close a hole on a plastic gas tank?
The hole is about the size of the head of a straight pin.

Or any other product??

Thanks,
Mule

I use JB Weld 2-part epoxy to patch holes in metal gas tanks. Seems to work OK. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a plastic tank. I'd roughen the surface around the hole with sandpaper and then apply the epoxy.

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #12  
I like all of these and have had great success. One problem with JB weld, it did not make a permanent repair on the side of the engine block. Pealed off after a couple years, probably not sanitary enought when applied. I sealed it again.

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #13  
Silicone is no good near gasoline - esentially falls apart after a short time. JB weld holds up, but does not adhere well to HDPE. Best stuff to use is one of the two-part (like epoxy, but not exactly the same) mixtures that cures rather than dries. Some even are listed for repairing gas tanks or exposure to fuels. As others have noted, rough-up the surface (like by lightly sanding) and clean well with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner.

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #14  
   / Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #15  
HDPE & LDPE (look them up and you will see the little triangle recycle symbols for each) can be repaired using either material (HDPE=LDPE for this purpose).

All you need is an iron. Preferably not the one swmbo will use on your shirt (or you). Look for a teflon coated one (usually cheap enough at yard sales).

Cut strips out of milk clean milk cartons (or similar containers). Of course, a clean tank is best, and you could run some air into the tank while doing this (compressed air line) to keep any fumes from building up.

Did this to my wife's then brand new water holding tank (the triangle shaped ones) in her horse trailer. Fortunately she was the one that drilled holes in it. Took a lot more time researching this on the web than it did to do it.

You can then put in the wood shop and use it to also raise dents in furniture (lay a wet rag over a dent and steam up the dented wood).

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #16  
I used a metal epoxy years ago on an oil pan and it worked great for as long as I had the car. I bought jb weld lately and it did not seem to be as good for other projects I have. Maybe JB just does not stick well, but if it does not then what good is it. Try a brand of epoxy that sticks and holds up to gas, oil, heat etc.

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #17  
I would try melting the hole with an electric soldering iron like has been mentioned and mixing in another hard plastic into the puddle like brazing or gas welding. A fiberglass mat and gel patch over a successful weld would ensure a leak free repair by strengthening the area.

I repair tears in plastic car bumpers occasionally and plastic welding is preferred over glue mainly because of the flexibility of plastic. We always use a backer which obviously you cant so its a little more tedious getting it strong enough from one side.

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #18  
........Just a few seconds contact, with the flame.........This is not for the faint of heart.
You've got that right. I flushed a motorcycle gas tank with soap and water, went to braze it and it still blew up enough to rip the seam apart. And scared the **** outta me.

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #19  
You've got that right. I flushed a motorcycle gas tank with soap and water, went to braze it and it still blew up enough to rip the seam apart. And scared the **** outta me.

I bet you washed it, but didn't really flush it, which means filling it completely with water, to displace both any remaining gas, and any vapor in the tank.

/ Need a plastic repair epoxy/glue/whatever #20  
Or,, you could drill and tap it for a 6-32 nylon screw (hobby shop, Lowes or Home Depot) with a dab of sealer on the threads to ensure it stays put.