Kioti 1914 Hard to Start When Cold

/ Kioti 1914 Hard to Start When Cold #1  

AltaLawnCare

Bronze Member
My Kioti is hard to crank when cold, it has 460 hrs on it. I let the glow plug light go out, then it spins easy (even with out the compression release), it will almost start, but will choke out and flood. It usually take 30 minutes to get it to run whne its below 50 degrees.
The man I bought it from kept it insidea heated shop, but he said it was cold natured when he had it too.
I'm afraid to use either , since it has glow plugs. It has a throttle stop, my buddy (whom I bought it from) suggested trying to pull the throttle stop partly out to reduce the flow of fuel. ??
Could the glow plugs be worn out?
-Thanks, Billy.

/ Kioti 1914 Hard to Start When Cold #2  
try turning the key to the start position with out pushing in the clutch it will heat the plug a little longer work for my 1914 at -3 below the other moring not sure how long glow plugs should last good luck wart

/ Kioti 1914 Hard to Start When Cold #3  
It sounds like your glow plugs aren't working. Just because the light works doesn't mean the plugs do. Do you have the shop manual? If not, holler back and we'll tell you how to check 'em. I can't remember how many ohms resistance they should show but I'm sure someone knows. I know how to fake it but it's a little hard to explain. :)

/ Kioti 1914 Hard to Start When Cold
I found it in the manula...I don't know how I overlooked it before, but thats right, turn over to start with out holding in the clutch! I tried it and it worked well last sat, but I hade preheated the shop for an hour...I'll do some more research on it, it could be the timer is bad, or the solenoid which sends the signal for the temp control.
Thanks fro all the advice. :)

/ Kioti 1914 Hard to Start When Cold #5  
Most of my diesel experience has been with boats, but a diesel is a diesel. The only time I've seen a bad glow plug was when I broke one checking it. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

But I have seen starting problems due to bad connections between the glow plug(s) and the switch. The plugs draw a fair amount of current, and they need clean, tight connections. If I remember right, and its been awhile, the glow plugs in the 40hp 3 cylinder Isuzu in my boat draw about 7 amps each when fully hot. Initially, they draw quite a bit more.

One other thing, and I hope this isn't it, but a diesel that spins easily but won't start, or is hard starting, can be a sign of low compression.

Good luck,

SnowRidge

/ Kioti 1914 Hard to Start When Cold
Thanks Sowridge,
The last couple of tims, I have held the key over to start position, for 30 seconds after the timer kicks off...I leave the tractor in neutral and immediately after it starts, I turn the key back over to start, been working great.
I'm starting o think the timer isn't cycling the glow plugs the way its supposed to. There is also a temp sensor that is spposed to make the glow plugs refire after it cranks in cold weather....I don't think this is happening, so I will get it checked out when I take it in for service.

/ Kioti 1914 Hard to Start When Cold #7  
Not related to the glow plug problem which it sounds like you are zeroing in on, but depending upon where you are regionally, you might want to also try a 10W30 HD diesel weight oil for the winter months. The generally lower pour point of the 10W30 might help.

It was 18 above this morning here in Nebraska... when we get the below 0 degree stuff in January, the thinner oil helps get the motor going, as I also keep my tractor in an unheated second garage... Just a thought !!