Tractor
    John Deere 445

Default John deere 47 inch snowblower Drive Chain

Looks like I broke the drive chain. How do I access it and can I replace the chain myself?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: John deere 47 inch snowblower Drive Chain

A search should come up with some threads on changing out the drive chain. Look at it closely to see where the bolts need to be removed to get at the chain and drives.

Some pics will help us point the finger where to start. I'll see if I can dig up a thread or two to help.

Here is the one I'm thinking of.
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...ets-chain.html

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

Welcome to TBN! But I do wish that newer members would give us at least a brief profile! Like where you are, State, Town, and the tractor and equipment numbers!! There lots of people here that can almost "walk-you-through" the repair, and have search capabilities, that you may not think of. Some of the JD Exploded drawings cannot be of help, without the specific 'Blower-Thrower' model number!! My experiance has been that I buy #50 roller chain, and a master link, and with three bolts to remove, and loosing an idler assembly, this should be an easy fix........~Scotty

Tractor
    John Deere 445

It was the chain drive on the blower unit. Found hooking up the new chain to be a little difficult. Not a lot of room for holding the chain and attaching the clips once I got it on the gears. Also, I took off the yellow guard above the drive off to gain easier access. Did not realize that with the coil wire acting like a spring, it would be difficult getting it back on . Not totally sure if I have it back in the right place, but it does not come in contact with the drive so that is good. Thanks for the info. Rich

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

Rich- I've got a 48" single stage "thrower" as opposed to your 2-stage blower unit. They probably both use #50 roller chain, (But that's a guess!). My unit doesn't have a spring loaded tentioner. Sounds like you've got this job pretty well wrapped up! I've found that counting the links so that replacement has the same count, and lining up the master link on a spot on the large sprocket is the way to go. Then it's just a matter of replacing the master-link, and reconfigure the tensioner! If you need any further help, 'yell'! Thanks for the updated profile! ~Scotty