John deere 47 inch snowblower Drive Chain

/ John deere 47 inch snowblower Drive Chain #1  

rbergersen

Tractor
John Deere 445
Looks like I broke the drive chain. How do I access it and can I replace the chain myself?

/ John deere 47 inch snowblower Drive Chain #2  
   / John deere 47 inch snowblower Drive Chain #3  
Welcome to TBN! But I do wish that newer members would give us at least a brief profile! Like where you are, State, Town, and the tractor and equipment numbers!! There lots of people here that can almost "walk-you-through" the repair, and have search capabilities, that you may not think of. Some of the JD Exploded drawings cannot be of help, without the specific 'Blower-Thrower' model number!! My experiance has been that I buy #50 roller chain, and a master link, and with three bolts to remove, and loosing an idler assembly, this should be an easy fix........~Scotty

/ John deere 47 inch snowblower Drive Chain
It was the chain drive on the blower unit. Found hooking up the new chain to be a little difficult. Not a lot of room for holding the chain and attaching the clips once I got it on the gears. Also, I took off the yellow guard above the drive off to gain easier access. Did not realize that with the coil wire acting like a spring, it would be difficult getting it back on . Not totally sure if I have it back in the right place, but it does not come in contact with the drive so that is good. Thanks for the info. Rich

/ John deere 47 inch snowblower Drive Chain #5  
Rich- I've got a 48" single stage "thrower" as opposed to your 2-stage blower unit. They probably both use #50 roller chain, (But that's a guess!). My unit doesn't have a spring loaded tentioner. Sounds like you've got this job pretty well wrapped up! I've found that counting the links so that replacement has the same count, and lining up the master link on a spot on the large sprocket is the way to go. Then it's just a matter of replacing the master-link, and reconfigure the tensioner! If you need any further help, 'yell'! Thanks for the updated profile! ~Scotty