Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator

/ Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
I have a Komatsu PC 20 that threw a track today. I got it back on but Im not sure about the proper tension as I had given it some attention just last week and thought the tension was correct.

Can someone give me the rule of thumb on this? I don't have a manual.

/ Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator
Hopefully soemone from the morning crew this fine tuesday will have some info!

/ Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator #3  
I have a Bobcat X320 and I have the book on it and it says 2.25-2.50 between the frame and the top of track, of course that is with the machine off the ground

/ Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator #4  
Usually there is a sideways 8 printed on the rubber inside of the track that indicates the seam, you want that over the idler to measure.

/ Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator #5  
It will depend if the track is steel or rubber

My kx 71-2 kubota is 40mm for steel and a little under half that for rubber as
stated above this will be with the track off the ground and if rubber the join in the right place

/ Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator #6  
Hey fixit how do you like the kx71? I was looking at one a while back but I may go with the KX 91 but it is going to have to wait until the economy picks up some, it is kinda slow at the moment

/ Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator #7  
Hi Degolyerent
I have found it very good it has been very reliable up till now

It has plenty of power for its size and the 4 cylinder engine so it is a little smoother and quieter than the 3 cylinder units

I bought it a little over 2 years ago now to do some ground work for my new workshop and store shed 30x90 and just cant stop finding jobs for it

Once i finish draining our pasture i am thinking of making an hydrualiic fence post driver that will run off the hammer pipes

Last edited:
   / Adjusting Tracks on Mini Excavator #8  
Rule of thumb with rubber tracks is 1/2" play per every tonne weight of machine, ie 3 tonne = 1 1/2" lateral movement