tractor seat separation

/ tractor seat separation #1  

herbenus

Gold Member
Tractor
99 JD4200 4WD Collarshift
I have a JD 4200 that I've had to leave outside for most of its 3 year life. The seat separated from its back and bottom. The back I think is plastic, the bottom I suspect is reinforced witrh metal. But basically the vinyl and foam separated as a unit from the shell. I tried to glue it back on, which lasted about 1-1/2 tractor rides.

First: I know it's best to keep tractor covered or inside, but you'd think the seat would last longer. This is just a gripe of mine. Everything else works.

Second: Since I don't think glue will ever satisfactorily work. Should I get a new JD seat, or get an aftermarket like TSC? How much hassle will it be to fit a TSC? Will next JD seat be another piece of junk - better or worse than TSC?

Third: Anyone else had this problem with JD seat?

/ tractor seat separation #2  
<font color=blue>""Will next JD seat be another piece of junk ""<font color=black>

Probably, if left outside for three years. But seats are cheap compared to a building to house it in, so buy the seat. Give up one thing for another. I suspect the other cost is some loss of resale value, but then again, probably not as much as a shed would cost.

/ tractor seat separation #3  
I just replaced the seat on mine after 5 yrs of use. It had holes in it where there were creases and it too came seperated. Expect to be separted from quite a bit of cash when you go in.
Even the frame under it failed. They wanted 450 for that. I just welded it up solid. It was always bottomed out anyway.

/ tractor seat separation #4  
The seat on my neighbors NH 1920 came apart like that and his tractor is kept in a barn. I am not sure who makes JD's seats but Grammer(I think that is the spelling) makes NH's seats and most of the aftermarket seats. The 1920 is 8-10 years old and the seat fell apart at 5 years. He has a feed bag on it now and that helps hold it together. He is also in his 80's and can care less if his seat looks nice just as long as it is still comortable.