Help Please

/ Help Please #1  

brunswick000

Tractor
L245DT
I have also posted this subject matter on OTT forum as well. However I am posting it here in the "general" parts/repairs forum of TBN in hopes of gaining more responses.

I got my Kubota L245DT tractor (my first tractor) a little over a week ago. When I picked it up I thought I had educated myself enough to hopefully identify any real obvious issues. I was impressed at how clean the tractor was......they must have cleaned it for my, or rather, their benefit. Under the hood was pretty clean without much sign of any red flags. The tractor seemed to function properly and the sale was completed. Shortly after getting it home it got stuck in reverse. I had it repaired and the shifting forks were well worn, as you might expect following 30 years of shifting from reverse to first. No harm, no foul. Adjusted the clutch, slipping issue seems to have been addressed.

Now for the "new problems". After addressing the clutch issue, and using the tractor for some time last evening pushing back snow banks, i put it to rest for the night. Went to work today, and like any new owner would do I went to check on her after returning home from a long day at work. Here are the issues ive found. I took these photos with my cell phone, so if they need to be better ill post back on Thursday when im off work during the day, and can use my DSLR.

Take a look at the oil splashed on the front of the cab here

IMG_20110222_212558.jpg
[/IMG]

Now take a look toward the front of the motor around the speed control plate adjacent to the injection pump. Also notice the odd spring for the decompression cable wrapped around the air cleaner tube. I would have to assume that ill have to completely clean the area and then inspect for the source of the oil.

IMG_20110222_213121.jpg
[/IMG]

Take a closer look at the oil here

IMG_20110222_213142.jpg
[/IMG]

Any thoughts on this? Im leaking oil from some where. Im going to stop using the tractor altogether until I get this stuff sorted out. And shamefully I have not yet swapped out all the fluids. Although that may be a good thing as I likely would have had to drain them all again to fix whatever this issue is.

Now for some help just identifying some stuff. What is this lever for?

IMG_20110222_212659.jpg
[/IMG]

I traced the lines back to this block on top of the transmission on the left of the pic. And also, what is other block on the left hand side of the tranny (right side of pic) under the seat that the hard line from the first block leads too?

IMG_20110222_212940.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_20110222_212927.jpg
[/IMG]

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Oh, and one other thing. I seem to be leaking fluid around the axle on the left hand side at the rear wheel. Couldn't get a clear pic with the phone and low light. Im guessing its a bad seal? Its closer to the wheel, and doesn't seem to be coming from around the final drive casing. I guess a positive is that the gear oil appears to be pretty clean.

Thoughts?

/ Help Please
I think the second "block" is the relief valve?? What does it do? The first might be the control valve? Does it make a lot of sense to keep the control lever mounted in the cab if Im not presently using it for anything?? I won't have a loader or, other new implements until this coming fall......based on my projected repair schedule :-S

/ Help Please #3  
Hello brunswick000. It's hard to tell from the pitchers, were the oil is coming from. My first guess would be from the valve cover. I haven't heard of Kubota's been oil leakers. If you find out, that it is the valve couver gasket, leaking, I would suspecte that some one has had it off. I would look very closely, to see why it was removed. It may have just been a broken rocker arm. Take note of how clean the internal parts of the valve train are, then you'll will know how well the engine was looked after.
Dave